Can you recommend a cable to reduce sibilance?
Apr 23, 2004 at 8:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Murdoch

500+ Head-Fier
What budget cable can I purchase that will reduce sibilance? I'm currently using kimber toniks, and I find there's too much treble energy for my taste. I've heard it all about the amp (see sig below), but I can only afford a low cost tweak now, so I'm hoping a better matched cable will help.

By budget cable I'm thinking in the $50-$75 range.

Thanks in advance.
cool.gif

Apr 23, 2004 at 9:17 PM Post #2 of 5
It's not the amp--can't be. I've never found the OBH-11 to be too sibilant, and that's consistent with most of the opinions I've read about the amp--even including its detractors. I'd estimate that the ratio of people who found it "smooth," rather than "bright," is probably in the neighborhood of 4 to 1. A search of the boards here should bear that out.

I notice you got a new Cambridge CD player. Has that helped, or has it worsened the problem?

My hunch is it's a combination of the SR-125 and the Kimber toniks. FWIW, I've been using DH Labs BL-1 ICs and they've worked great. Not dull or muddy by any means--plenty of detail for my tastes--but not so "hot" in the treble that sibilance is a problem. Someone's currently selling some at Audiogon for $48. Might be worth a shot.

Apr 24, 2004 at 11:18 PM Post #3 of 5
Thanks for the cable suggestion, P#6. I'll definitely look into it.

The new Cambridge 640c is currently on hour 55 of burn in and so far it has been a huge improvement. The treble is airy and precise, and the blurry sibilance I had with the NAD 521i is gone. I've got to add that the bass is deep and to my ears fully extended.

Its still a smidge bright for my taste, but I'm starting to wonder if maybe I just have to learn how to appreciate the crystal clear highs I'm getting, as this is by far the best source I've ever owned. I'm kind of in new territory.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 26, 2004 at 11:05 AM Post #4 of 5
I'm still looking for suggestions on a cable that will cool down the highs a bit on my rig.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Apr 26, 2004 at 5:10 PM Post #5 of 5
Magwire ultras. This cable is warmer, darker and slower and definitely turns down the treble heat. The mids are excellent but the bass is a little soft with this cable. If you get one make sure you burn it in for a few days. It sounds dreadful until it breaks in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back