Can you rcommend some dramatic classical music?
Jan 11, 2002 at 10:11 PM Post #31 of 37
Quote:

Originally posted by TerriblySorry
Shostakovitch symphony #8.

Shostakovitch is fab. One of my fav composers. Great to play too. But really tough on the old lungs. I play the tuba and you need to be built like Pavorrotti to get thr notes out. Shost 5 is great. Festive Overture is one of my favourite pieces to play. Great mix of big loud chords and twiddly strings and wind. As has been said above The Planets is a good place to start. I also listen to a lot of downbeat dance liek Lamb, Massive Attack, Portishead. They all use a lot of classical instruments in a modern style if you want to stay with more modern stuff.

Classical music is a whole new world. There is so much to discover, it's a whole new section of music. My advice is to get one of the 'Best Classical album in the world ever' type things and go in search of the composers that you enjoy off that. Most composers have a 'style' and you can get a feel for their music that way.

I also like more modern composers, like Gerswhin (American in Paris, Rhapsody in Blue), Bernstein (Candide Overture (fab), West Side Story) , Vaughan Williams (Tuba Concerto lol, not really lots of 'english' sounding music.) , Elgar (Pomp and Circumstance marches) etc.

John Williams soundtracks are good too. Maybe get a 'Best of' album?

Mugorsky (sp) - Pictures at an Exhibition is possibly one of the loudest thing around too. Another gut buster to play...

Hope you enjoy your new found world...

Jan 12, 2002 at 2:16 AM Post #32 of 37
I am listening to Joan of Arc Original Sound Tracks...
I sounds great, and I was wondering if it had some sort of binaural processing done to it...
hmmm....
tongue.gif

Jan 12, 2002 at 6:15 AM Post #33 of 37
Quote:

Originally posted by jdstewart
John Williams soundtracks are good too. Maybe get a 'Best of' album?

Nah, better to get the works of the original composers of the works he plagiarizes... Quote:

Mugorsky (sp)

Mussorgsky is the most common spelling, Moussorgsky second.

Jan 14, 2002 at 3:51 AM Post #34 of 37
First of all, let me add a black mark to John Williams' name. He's good at writing catchy soundtracks that are dramatic in all the right places but not so good that the audience gets distracted from the action on screen. The music he writes is well, almost Bose-y in spirit.

Let me recommend a piece by Antonin Dvorak: Symphony no. 9 "From the New World"
Especially the fourth movement. Gotta love a piece that starts like the theme to 'Jaws'. Note the whole symphony does slow down a bit, it's nice for studying and working without being boring.

I reccommend the Deutsche Grammophon recording with the Berlin Philharmonic conducted by Rafael Kubelik(447 412-2); I find that DG does good recordings in general. Also, this particular recording gets you not only the 9th symphony but the 8th too, Buy One Get One Free
biggrin.gif

And you can't go wrong with Shostakovich.

Jan 14, 2002 at 5:06 AM Post #35 of 37
Quote:

Originally posted by eric343
Let me recommend a piece by Antonin Dvorak: Symphony no. 9 "From the New World"
Especially the fourth movement.

Good catch. I can't believe I let a thread slip by without mentioning my favorite piece.

Jul 5, 2011 at 6:08 AM Post #36 of 37
I was looking for a particular song I've yet to find.  I came across this forum.  Some very good suggestions here..  But what's missing is my favorite..  So I joined to suggest:

[size=large]Bedřich Smetana - Má Vlast Moldau [/size]- can't go wrong

Jul 5, 2011 at 3:08 PM Post #37 of 37
My favorite dramatic pieces are Rimsky Korsakov Schehehrezade, Tchaikovsky Pathetique symphony, and anything Wagner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back