Can you output two audio signals (USB & Optical) at the same time?
Jun 2, 2020 at 4:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Garrett Morrow

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I'm currently using a Schiit stack (Modi 3 + Magni 3) to grab audio from my PlayStation 4 PRO. I'm a massive gamer but I also love to spend a few hours here and there listening to music. An Optical Toslink cable is connected from the PS4 to the Modi 3 DAC. RCA cables then connect from the DAC to the Magni 3 amp which is then outputting sound to my headphones (ATH-M50x). The Modi 3 is also connected through USB to my MacBook Pro when I want to listen to music.

However, I am eager to know if it is possible to get both Optical and USB audio into my headphones at the same time. In other words, I'd like to hear in-game audio from my PlayStation and grab sound from my MacBook all at the same time. The Modi 3 allows you to switch between USB, Optical, and Coaxial inputs but doesn't allow two of those inputs to be used at the same time.

Is there another piece of equipment I need to purchase in order to make this happen? Ideally, I'd like to hear in-game audio and at the same time, be able to hear my brother through Discord (Voice chat application) from my MacBook.

Thanks,

Garrett.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2020 at 6:21 PM Post #3 of 6
Do you use Spotify for your music listening? If so, PS4 has a Spotify app. Other than that I don't know of solution to output audio from both sources at the same time.

Apple Music is what I use. I’m aware of the Spotify app on PlayStation. I’m really just trying to figure out how I can communicate with my brother through my MacBook but also hear game audio from the PS4. Thanks for the reply 😊

Jun 2, 2020 at 7:36 PM Post #4 of 6
Apple Music is what I use. I’m aware of the Spotify app on PlayStation. I’m really just trying to figure out how I can communicate with my brother through my MacBook but also hear game audio from the PS4. Thanks for the reply 😊
No problem. Ask around on other forums and check r/headphones as well, somebody is bound to know a solution.

Jun 2, 2020 at 8:20 PM Post #5 of 6
Guarantee you'd need another dac no ifs and buts if you want to basically decode two digital streams at the same time; unless you want to get a Real-time capable DJ/Studio Mixing console/DSP system....

2 Dacs, after they are decoded, you can join them easily using any method. A cheap but decent solution would be an RCA adapter with 2 connectors.

Annotation 2020-06-02 171611.jpg

Jun 2, 2020 at 9:48 PM Post #6 of 6
Guarantee you'd need another dac no ifs and buts if you want to basically decode two digital streams at the same time; unless you want to get a Real-time capable DJ/Studio Mixing console/DSP system....

2 Dacs, after they are decoded, you can join them easily using any method. A cheap but decent solution would be an RCA adapter with 2 connectors.

Annotation 2020-06-02 171611.jpg

btbluesky,

This all sounds really good. Basically, I would need to purchase a second Modi 3 and connect it to the MacBook through USB. How exactly does the RCA Splitter work? I'm fairly new to all of this. I understand why I would need the second DAC. The RCA Splitter is somewhat confusing, however.

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back