Can you help me connect to the internet?
Mar 21, 2006 at 3:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

trains are bad

Headphoneus Supremus
sigh. I really suck at computers.

All I want right now is my internet to work. I have a cable modem and linksys WRTG45 router that is set up so that this laptop connects wirelessly, and my roommate's computer connects with a cable. We are not networked together as far as I know.

I just bought a desktop, plugged it into one of the ports on the back of the router next to my roommate's cable, and I can't connect to the internet. We have XP pro all around.

Why do things have to be complicated?

Mar 21, 2006 at 9:45 PM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by trains are bad
I just bought a desktop, plugged it into one of the ports on the back of the router next to my roommate's cable, and I can't connect to the internet. We have XP pro all around.

Why do things have to be complicated?

Did you install the router software on the desktop ? - we had to with our mixed wired/wireless setup. Also you should check that your ethernet card is functioning properly.

Your desktop may have both a ethernet and an internal modem card and it is sometimes possible to plug the ethernet cable into the wrong slot - sorry if that sounds patronising but i have done it
biggrin.gif

You may also want to disable the Windows firewall until you can establish a connection as that can sometimes lock you out.

Mar 21, 2006 at 9:59 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by hciman77
Did you install the router software on the desktop ? - we had to with our mixed wired/wireless setup. Also you should check that your ethernet card is functioning properly.

Your desktop may have both a ethernet and an internal modem card and it is sometimes possible to plug the ethernet cable into the wrong slot - sorry if that sounds patronising but i have done it
biggrin.gif

You may also want to disable the Windows firewall until you can establish a connection as that can sometimes lock you out.

It should be plug&play...no?

Mar 21, 2006 at 10:13 PM Post #5 of 6
Long story short, I had to reinstall the chipset drivers. My ATI drivers also got screwed up somehow so I'll have to redo those later I'm sure. But I'm on now. Thanks for the help anyway.

Mar 21, 2006 at 10:48 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by SennFan
It should be plug&play...no?

I am no networks expert but when we installed our network it was not plug and play. Windows XP will allow multiple PCs to share the same connection but one has to be permanently on i.e one acts as a gateway, to do it properly you are creating a network and dealing with three different pieces of software i.e modem, router and device. Most router manufacturers have fairly easy setup programs but it is not quite plug and play. On ours it took about 5 minutes to setup but it still involves installing router software. Windows cannot possibly have all the drivers for every network device already installed though sometimes you can get away with using generic drivers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back