Can you help me choose my new earphones ?
Jul 8, 2009 at 4:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

FrenchDavid

New Head-Fier
Hey all,

My Sony MDR-EX71 just died. It's a great opportunity for me to get new ones. Since I use them 2 hours a day, I'm looking for high quality earphones based on my specific needs :

- cost : 80-150 euros (I'm mostly looking for the best quality price ratio)
- type : ear-ins, isolation is very important to me since I use them mostly in public transports (subway, bus, train, ...)
- music : rock, brit pop, punk, classic rock, pop (Muse, Placebo, Franz Ferdinand, Oasis, Queen, Green Day, ...)
- I also want reliable and resistant earphones since I move when I use them, or a good guarantee / customer support to change them
- I'll use them with my iphone, so an additional mic would be a plus but I don't care if there's not one
- for information, my mp3s are all 320kbps

After my initial research, here's the ones I've noticed so far. However, I have questions and will really need your help to choose the best ones for me :
- Jays D-jays : enough lows for rock music ?
- Jays Q-jays : durability of such tiny earphones ?
- Etymotic ER-6i : design and technology outdated ?
- Schure SE110-210 : are low-end Schure models just based on marketing ?
- Phonak Audéo PFE : are they comfortable and solid ?
- Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 : is V-sound good for my needs ?

There are many others which I don't know much about, so your suggestions will also be very much appreciated (new Etymotic, Westone, Sleek, Philips 9850, ...)

Thanks for your help and advices
beerchug.gif

Jul 8, 2009 at 8:46 PM Post #2 of 12
I guess my question was too general to start things off. At this time, I'm mostly hesitating between the q-jays, the ultimate ears super.fi 5, and the atrio super sonics. Based on what I'm looking for (isolation, rock music, ...), which one would be the best, or what other model should I look at ?

Jul 9, 2009 at 12:42 AM Post #3 of 12
Welcome.

Instead of double-posting, there's a convenient "edit" button (underneath main thread).

UE's IEM's are generally good.

ER6i's great IEM's. I have them.
L3000.gif
They lack some bass, but they're the best you can buy under $100 (USD). Sorry, I don't know the euro exchange.

MINI REVIEW:
The er6i's have very good noise isolation. -20db AT LEAST. Very efficient (16ohm). Great mids/highs. BEST EVER.

Plus, you can save money to buy a headphone amp for the ER6i's.

Jul 9, 2009 at 9:06 AM Post #5 of 12
I'm not looking to buy an headphone amp, so I'll stick with the earphones I'll buy.

Since I really like live rock performance, I guess I'm more looking for warm sound and dynamic lows, which would eliminate the ER6i.

At this time, it looks like the D-jays, Philips 9850 and UE super.fi 5 are the best fits for my needs. They're all in the same $100 price category, and share some of the same sound qualities.

- D-jays : I question their durability, but if I order them at their official UK resseler, I'd have a 2-year warranty
- Philips 9850 : I've had great reviews by friends on those earphones, which have the closest look to the Sony MDR-EX71 I've had so far. I really like their look, but I haven't seen too many reviews on websites
- UE super.fi 5 : I'm not a big fan of their look, but they might have the best quality of the three and a mic which would be convenient with my iphone

Jul 11, 2009 at 5:25 PM Post #6 of 12
The D-jays seem like they are a very good product for my tastes, especially at this price. What higher end model in the $200 price range would have the same "warm" sound at an even higher quality ?

Jul 11, 2009 at 10:34 PM Post #7 of 12
I've found the q-jays to be much more durable than they would appear at first. My pair are a few years old without any problems. Only thing, make sure to not pull them out with the cord. They are my all around non-classical/jazz favorites.

Jul 12, 2009 at 2:11 PM Post #8 of 12
We're getting there... here's my curent selection for rock music...

Westone UM2 230£
Klipsch Custom 3 154€
Ultimate Ears SuperFi 5Pro 145£
Image X10 167£
Atrio Supersonic M5 95£
Jays D-jays 70€

Jul 12, 2009 at 2:22 PM Post #9 of 12
@David: No clue why you're paying that much for your phones. The Custom 3's are $133USD off Amazon right now, for example.

Jul 12, 2009 at 3:16 PM Post #11 of 12
Well, if you can afford it go with the best. Westone 3, IE8, UE, or SE530's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back