Can you help clarify a couple things about the Xonar Audio Center?
Aug 20, 2013 at 11:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Stinkfinger75

New Head-Fier
Using the XAC hasn't been the most intuitive experience, maybe that's due to my lack of understanding on the subject of audio equipment, but after tinkering with it today I think I may have figured it out, tell me if I'm warm.

From the Main tab, the Audio Channel drop down is the desired output and the Analog Out drop down is the hardware by which the desired output will be delivered.  So for simulated 7.1 through my headphones I would choose 8 channels and Headphone from the respective drop downs.  Am I close?

I still have a few questions about the DSP modes though, maybe you can help.
  • The game, music, and movie DSP modes add what exactly?  Are they even worth fiddling with? 
  • Under what circumstance would I want to use the Hi-Fi mode?
  • I know the GX mode has to do with EAX support so does that mean I should always enable it along with the game setting when gaming?

Lastly, it is my understanding that when headphones along with Dolby Headphone that there is no need to tick the 7.1 Virtual Speaker Shifter box.  It seems to me that ticking that box doesn't allow for anything other than virtually repositioning your speakers, which seems to be useless if I'm gaming and positional audio is key.

I should mention that I am looking for optimal settings for a gaming setup.  When listening to music is there another configuration I should consider?  Thanks in advance for your help and advice.

Aug 21, 2013 at 12:21 AM Post #2 of 2
For headphone surround sound (gaming & movies) you want Audio Channel set to 8-channel,
set to 2-channel for music.

I usually leave sample rate at 96Khz

Analog Output, set to Headphone (for headphones)

With games, for GX mode try both enabled and disable, use whichever works best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back