Can you hear this?
Jun 2, 2006 at 12:23 PM Post #46 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmopragma
About 15 KHz according to Audacity, and most people older than 50 won't hear it.

52 Year old rock musician. I can hear it easily. Harmonises well with my tinitus.
tongue.gif

Ian

Jun 2, 2006 at 12:46 PM Post #47 of 78
I heard it too, got annoying awful fast. I'll be 26 in a couple weeks.

I've heard devices like these "youth deterrant" ones called a pandora's box as well. The idea is that you build one to put out a loud but high pitched frequency and run off say, a 9v battery. You turn it on and hide it in the bedroom, office, etc. of someone you're looking to annoy.

It'll either cause headaches and concentration problems if they don't realize they can hear it, OR drive them insane if they do notice the sound because electronic, high pitched noises are really difficult to locate. They'll know they want it to stop, but have a hell of a time finding it to smash it to bits if you've hidden it well. I knew a guy in college who built one he couldn't hear but his roommate could. So he'd turn it on if his roommate was pissing him off or if he wanted the guy to leave the room (because eventually he'd get agitated and go for a walk or to the library or something).

Jun 2, 2006 at 12:54 PM Post #48 of 78
I am glad to report that this 26 year old heard it. Or was that my MacBook Pro? Was afraid to try as I thought I wouldn't hear it - DIY hearing tests showed I couldn't hear 16KHz. Tinnitis sufferer (used to sit at the end of runways with the folks and watch planes take-off).

Jun 2, 2006 at 3:36 PM Post #51 of 78
I'm 53 and couldn't hear a thing on my laptop, even using headphones. To be sure that sound was coming out, I let a 27 women listen. She said that it made an annoying sound.

So my high frequency hearing is gone. This will make buying new audio equipment much cheaper!
etysmile.gif

Jun 2, 2006 at 4:47 PM Post #52 of 78
Does anyone else have a physical reaction to these sounds? I can hear it and it has an oddly vertigo-like effect on my mind/body. This happens when I listen to frequency sweep tracks on the blinkster test cd. At the extreme low and high ends I get this odd feeling like motion sickness or vertigo.

Jun 2, 2006 at 5:58 PM Post #54 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by SAP7
http://www.compoundsecurity.co.uk/clients.html

Dang, you can even buy one!!

Or you can DIY your own for cheap.
A few old tweeters, a spare amp, a SPL meter, haha, I do have everything at my disposal for the project.
There are often some kids playing in my backyard, only a few meters away from my listening room.Annoyingly loud, the damned kids.
I've tried the "wild man on the balcony" route, but that's embarassing , the bad vibes do reflect back to yourself and on the long run it doesn't work anyway.
I'm still capable of hearing 15 KHz, but I can't hear anything at 17.5K, and they will since they are all younger than ten.90 or 100 dB should be sufficient even under freefield conditions.
Let's see if the original weird british way of social engineering works.
The icing on the cake is I won't risk trouble with the parents.
They won't hear anything while I'm pissing the kids off.

Jun 2, 2006 at 6:02 PM Post #55 of 78
Had to turn the volume up quite a bit to hear it with the notebook speakers - but yes, my 37 years old ears can hear that, too. Sounds like a bit over NTSC, but not quite PAL to me.
wink.gif

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Jun 2, 2006 at 6:08 PM Post #56 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmopragma
I'm still capable of hearing 15 KHz, but I can't hear anything at 17.5K, and they will since they are all younger than ten.90 or 100 dB should be sufficient even under freefield conditions.

Splendid idea. I'd suggest getting a good dose of strong ultraviolet light on your eyes, while you're at it - it sure won't do any harm, since you can't see that, right?
rolleyes.gif

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Jun 2, 2006 at 7:19 PM Post #57 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by lini
Splendid idea. I'd suggest getting a good dose of strong ultraviolet light on your eyes, while you're at it - it sure won't do any harm, since you can't see that, right?
rolleyes.gif

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Lini, this isn't bass.It's quite easy to control the direction.

Jun 2, 2006 at 7:35 PM Post #58 of 78
37 years old here and i could hear it. sounds like my tv warming up.

using the bink audio test cd i can hear most frequencies, but i've babied my ears even when i was younger.

Jun 2, 2006 at 9:30 PM Post #60 of 78
47 here and I can hear it at well below normal listening levels through my Stax 003 which has rolled off treble while competing with my noisy work pc and my tinitus. Guess my hearing isn't as shot to sh#t as I thought.
icon10.gif

15k you say? Hmmm, I need a tone generator to see how far up my hearing really goes. I imagine it could be very annoying to teens, however, I guess I should happy to hear it if I'm supposed to be close to the 'deaf as a post' age group.
tongue.gif

Years ago all TVs made that same noise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back