Can you hear the difference between Lossless and 320kb/s?
Jul 23, 2010 at 10:09 AM Post #17 of 40
We had this question a couple of times before.

320 kbps mp3's (LAME encoded) are considered transparent. But, of course, there exist some (few) problematic samples where you can hear artifacts..

Jul 25, 2010 at 9:10 PM Post #18 of 40
How about speakers vs headphones--is lossy more noticeable over one than the other? Or does it all come down to the ability to convey detail?

Jul 26, 2010 at 5:26 AM Post #19 of 40
It's more likely to hear clipping with headphones.

Jul 28, 2010 at 4:24 AM Post #20 of 40
I could even hear a difference between 320kbps mp3 and FLAC on my macbook pro speakers!
Today I tried comparing 256kbps Avenged Sevenfold - Nightmare (iTunes downloaded) with the
Apple Lossless file I ripped onto the cd. Through my apogee duet and audioengine 5's tho, this
circumstance was only very slightly noticeable. So I believe there is more to the equation,
although I'm too much of a newb to tell you exactly what that would be. But for the most part
I hear a difference between 320 and lossless.

Jul 28, 2010 at 5:46 AM Post #21 of 40
Doubt that. Fire up your favourite ABX tool and let us see what you really hear.. :wink:

Jul 28, 2010 at 9:00 AM Post #23 of 40
If you can't hear the difference between lossy and lossless, that's because either you are not trained to distinguish small nuances in sound, or don't know what to look for and how the differences present themselves, or use misic that was badly recorded, or your gear is not capable of presenting difference (i.e source, cables, amp and headphones are not resolving enough). That's all, there are no other reasons. :)

Jul 28, 2010 at 9:13 AM Post #24 of 40
Trained ?? hmmm...

I actually have 2 iPods, so what I did in the first one was rip lossless and in the other one rip to 320kb/s (AAC, VBR), and then compare the two with the same headphones, and same volume.

What I will do eventually is get an ipod dock with digital output and then compare on my stereo, when I have done that, I will post the results, there should be a difference on my stereo, but I have a feeling that's marginal, which means I really have to listen carefully to notice any difference, I think for everyday use (background music, for the kids and wife) it won't make a difference, but we'll see.

Jul 28, 2010 at 1:10 PM Post #25 of 40
Quote:
If you can't hear the difference between lossy and lossless, that's because either you are not trained to distinguish small nuances in sound, or don't know what to look for and how the differences present themselves, or use misic that was badly recorded, or your gear is not capable of presenting difference (i.e source, cables, amp and headphones are not resolving enough).

Or the non golden-ears, audiophile, bs answer: because 320 kbit/s mp3 (LAME encoder) is considered transparent (even for trained ears) for most files.
In case you don't know the meaning of transparency: definition.

Quote:
That's all, there are no other reasons.

/facepalm

Jul 28, 2010 at 1:12 PM Post #26 of 40
Sean Olive has a few good articles that shows that how trained listeners have more consistent results in DBT than say, random students. But yes, 320kbps is fine. 

Jul 28, 2010 at 1:16 PM Post #27 of 40
At title:

No.

Not unless its a particular track with a particular setup with a particular alignment of the planets and a blue moon visible at midnight of friday the thirteenth on a leap year with a lunar eclipse.

Jul 28, 2010 at 1:17 PM Post #28 of 40
According to DBT testing, I'm fairly good at picking between lossless and 256kbps AAC.  The interesting thing is that I show a 73% affinity for 256kpbs AAC.

Testing was done using Shure SE530s using a high end dac and amp a couple of years ago.

Jul 28, 2010 at 2:27 PM Post #29 of 40
Quote:
Trained ?? hmmm...

I actually have 2 iPods, so what I did in the first one was rip lossless and in the other one rip to 320kb/s (AAC, VBR), and then compare the two with the same headphones, and same volume.

Sorry, ipod is not considered a quality source :) . But yes, in an everyday life using ipod and average headphones or earphones, they will be indistinguishable. However, on a good setup with a high quality source and with at-home listening, it will be no problem to tell them apart.

Jul 28, 2010 at 4:50 PM Post #30 of 40
Quote:
However, on a good setup with a high quality source and with at-home listening, it will be no problem to tell them apart.

Any facts to back this up? No.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back