Can You Handle Beethoven's Last Three Sonatas
Jul 24, 2007 at 6:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Eugene Kwon

Head-Fier
I wanted to ask to all the Beethoven sonata players here. I was thinking about adding Op. 110 (only the first movement), the most lyrical Beethoven sonata, as part of my repertoire next year, but I'm not so sure. Most kids that go to competitions play Waldstein, Appassionata, and the same old stuffs. I've never seen anyone in my age (about 14~18) play Beethoven's late sonatas. Of course, Hammerklavier shouldn't even be considered since it's almost forbidden and we're not experienced enough. Is it just my area with this kind of trend?

My concern is if I go out there and play one of Beethoven's late sonatas, which are regarded as almost sacred I assume, would the judges think 'you're only a kid and how dare you play this sonata!! yeckyeckyeck'? Offending the judges is the last thing I have on my mind. Should I just stick to Op. 90, which I played last year, and try to improve on it?

Very frustrated now.
mad.gif

Jul 24, 2007 at 4:19 PM Post #2 of 7
Do it. Challenge yourself if you love the music. Your personal growth should not be based on what you think the judges want to hear.

Jul 24, 2007 at 5:28 PM Post #3 of 7
This is really a tough call. On one hand, you don't want to play the "same-old, same-old," but on the other hand, you don't want to look ridiculous by trying something you are clearly not ready to do yet.

At this point, everything depends on how well you play, and knowing that just being able to hammer out the notes doesn't guarantee that you can actually turn those notes into music. Go with the most difficult sonatas that you can make most musical. It's better to show that you have completely mastered something from the inside out, than to just demonstrate that you can put your fingers on the correct keys at the correct time. Look for something which displays your musical insight as well as your technique. Unless, you are that rare prodigy who can perform these sonatas with depth as well as technical mastery. If that is true, your teachers will advise you to go in and play them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Squeek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do it. Challenge yourself if you love the music. Your personal growth should not be based on what you think the judges want to hear.

Don't fool yourself by believing this. While it's fine to work on those sonatas, if they are not ready on the highest technical and musical level, you will not earn any points by attempting them. Face it, if the judges wanted to see how well students could attempt these sonatas, then everyone would be doing them. If you do them poorly, or indifferently, the judges will just assume that you are too immature to assess the limitations of your abilities, and/or too arrogant heed the advice of your teachers. Either way, you will come off badly.

Jul 24, 2007 at 5:31 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Squeek /img/forum/go_quote.gif

X2.

Do what makes YOU happy, do not concern yourself with what others think of you.

Jul 24, 2007 at 6:24 PM Post #5 of 7
Listen to Bunnyears. I have a feeling Squeek and JesusWept might have a limited understanding of classical repertoire and the role that these performances might mean for your learning and your career.

Sure, do what you want, but one must be aware of the context.

Jul 24, 2007 at 6:35 PM Post #6 of 7
Yes this reminds me of that movie of a young Chinese violin virtuosi. There are many technically sound virtuoso's, both keyboard and violin but there aren't many who have the soul for the music.

Have you talked to your teacher about this? It always helps you know, afterall he/she can always give you the first judgement.

Jul 24, 2007 at 7:21 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Coltrane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Listen to Bunnyears. I have a feeling Squeek and JesusWept might have a limited understanding of classical repertoire and the role that these performances might mean for your learning and your career.

You are correct in your assumption. However, I made my suggestion under the impression that the OP feels he can do the piece justice, and was discouraged by it being considered "sacred" and not appropriate for his age group by the judges.

I would obviously not recommend biting off more than you think you can reasonably chew.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back