Can you guys help on which I should get?
Oct 31, 2019 at 9:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

NiVrA

100+ Head-Fier
Hi good day guys Im asking if what dac/amp should I get? Right now im just using my motherboard audio jach which is an asus x470-i. Paired with the PC37x and im planning on getting the 6xx..what should be the best choice or you guys have have a suggest I am willing to listen. Also some suggested on the getting the JDS Atom and Topping D30

Oct 31, 2019 at 9:44 PM Post #2 of 10
Hi good day guys Im asking if what dac/amp should I get? Right now im just using my motherboard audio jach which is an asus x470-i. Paired with the PC37x and im planning on getting the 6xx..what should be the best choice or you guys have have a suggest I am willing to listen. Also some suggested on the getting the JDS Atom and Topping D30

For a 300ohm headphone with decent sensitivity the motherboard might not be that far behind a decent amplifier unless you're listening critically.

If it's for gaming I'd have more concerns about the headphone first than the motherboard, which is only really a problem if you went for say the K70x series since the sensitivity is markedly lower (ie needs more power) while the low impedance might be a problem on a circuit with unknown output impedance, but depending on your expectations the HD6XX might not improve on the PC37X for gaming, and even be a downgrade in neatness/convenience if you have to shoehorn a mic on it.

Oct 31, 2019 at 9:45 PM Post #3 of 10
If you want (or need) to use the features of your on-board audio sound card, then get a DAC with an optical input jack.
Otherwise go with USB.
As the Topping D30 DAC comes with both, your covered.

Oct 31, 2019 at 9:57 PM Post #4 of 10
For a 300ohm headphone with decent sensitivity the motherboard might not be that far behind a decent amplifier unless you're listening critically.

If it's for gaming I'd have more concerns about the headphone first than the motherboard, which is only really a problem if you went for say the K70x series since the sensitivity is markedly lower (ie needs more power) while the low impedance might be a problem on a circuit with unknown output impedance, but depending on your expectations the HD6XX might not improve on the PC37X for gaming, and even be a downgrade in neatness/convenience if you have to shoehorn a mic on it.
If you want (or need) to use the features of your on-board audio sound card, then get a DAC with an optical input jack.
Otherwise go with USB.
As the Topping D30 DAC comes with both, your covered.

So what would be the best route to go? I would be gaming and listening to music like 60/40 which do you think is best in my case?

Oct 31, 2019 at 10:45 PM Post #5 of 10
TL;DR: for $100/$120 the Schiit Fulla 3 is an option, supports mic, powers HD6xx, won't get insanely loud. Between $150 and $250 there are tons of options, almost none of which support mics.

First questions: how much are you willing to spend, and are you listening critically? Your suggestion of the Topping D30 DAC and Atom amp suggest a budget around $200-250?

Schiit have just announced 2 new entry-level DAC/head-amps with microphone support, which they classify as "Gaming DAC/Amps" on their site - the Fulla 3 (their true entry-level DAC/Amp, $100+shipping on their site, $120 on Amazon) and the Hel (more power, supports stereo mic, $190+shipping on their site, not on Amazon yet). I have the Fulla 2, the previous version, which is ... okay, it drives my HD6xx headphones much louder than my computer's onboard audio, and the audio quality's much better ... but I also have an iFi iDSD Nano Black Label, which is $200 on Amazon and which is clearly better than the "I'm Fulla Schiit" (which is the actual name that it reports in Windows 10!). For $120 delivered, with mic support, there aren't many other options.

Audioquest also make a USB DAC/amp called the Dragonfly Black; it's $100, well-known and well-reviewed, might not have the power to drive the HD6xx loud enough.

In the $150-$250 range you get a *lot* of options. You're not going to find much with mic support in this price range, but there are lots of good DACs and amps:
- Schiit also make a $100 dedicated DAC (Modi 3) and $100 dedicated headphone amp (Magni 3), which when paired together are commonly known as the "Schiit Stack". Figure $250 including shipping and cables. These have a pretty good reputation.
- JDS Labs Atom amp and OL DAC
- Topping D30 DAC and A30 amp (note: the D30 is DAC only, you will still need an amp).
- Audioquest Dragonfly Red DAC/amp. Widely beloved. Small, portable, should have enough power to open up more of the HD6xx' potential
- going up to $300 gets you an Audioquest Dragonfly Cobalt. Their newest DAC, people are saying good things so far.
- the iFi iDSD Nano Black Label - $200 on Amazon. I have this, and it was a big enough step up over the Schiit Fulla that it made me want something better than the Fulla for my stereo speaker setup.

I'm in a similar position to you, looking for a DAC under $200 for my stereo setup (speakers, not headphones) so I am doing a lot of research right now :).

Oct 31, 2019 at 11:06 PM Post #6 of 10
So what would be the best route to go? I would be gaming and listening to music like 60/40 which do you think is best in my case?
For USB vs S/PDIF (optical or coaxial), I like using USB, as I'm not into FPS gaming, so no real need for sound card features.
Also modern USB offers asynchronous transfer (good for audio), which S/PDIF (optical or coaxial) does not have.
If you do like FPS gaming, then get a Creative Labs sound card (AE-5 or G6).
And check out the 150-Ohm HD58X headphones, really almost as good as the HD6XX, and the HD58X is not very power demanding.

Oct 31, 2019 at 11:09 PM Post #7 of 10
For USB vs S/PDIF (optical or coaxial), I like using USB, as I'm not into FPS gaming, so no real need for sound card features.
Also modern USB offers asynchronous transfer (good for audio), which S/PDIF (optical or coaxial) does not have.
And check out the 150-Ohm HD58X headphones, really almost as good as the HD6XX, and the HD58X is not very power demanding.
The HD58x are definitely easier to drive than the 6xx - but if you have a decent amp to go with it, that has the power to drive the 6xx properly, they are perceptibly better.

Nov 1, 2019 at 6:30 AM Post #9 of 10
I was think of getting the JDS atom connected to my desktop and then the HD6xx what do you think? or if you were in my situation what would be the best? Or the iFi Zen Dac would be better?

Nov 1, 2019 at 10:54 AM Post #10 of 10
I was think of getting the JDS atom connected to my desktop and then the HD6xx what do you think? or if you were in my situation what would be the best? Or the iFi Zen Dac would be better?
Ooooh, I did not know about the Zen! That actually looks like a *very* good option - bumps way above the Schiit Fulla, for the same price. Stepping up to the Schiit Hel at $200 would get you more power, and microphone support, but unless the Hel is much better than the Fulla, the Zen is going to sound better for music.

The Zen is going on my DAC shortlist - it looks like it's basically the iDSD Nano Black Label without the battery, I know I like the sound of that chipset, it supports MQA for Tidal, it has fixed pre-outs which the Fulla 3 doesn't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back