Can you get quality bass from a non custom IEM?
Oct 20, 2009 at 2:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

odigg

500+ Head-Fier
Let me give this question some context. With full sized headphones it's very easy to get a headphone that has good bass quality, quantity, and impact without having the bass drown out the rest of the frequency range.

Take for example the Denon D7000 or even the Shure 840. The bass is boosted above neutral. But the bass doesn't blur the rest of the frequency range. You get boosted (above neutral) bass quantity with great quality.

Is this possible with a sub $500 universal IEM? I've been reading this forum but I can't seem to get a reference point from which I can get an answer. I recently purchased a Klipsch S4 and no matter how many hours are on them, I find the bass is quality is rubbish. It stomps all over the other frequencies and make everything sound very thick.

I just want a honest answer to this question from those of you who have full sized headphones. Can I expect full sized headphone quality bass from a sub $500 universal? If I want quality bass, am I limited to "bass-light" phones like the ER4 or do I need to go for more expensive customs?

I realize people constantly talk about bass in this forum so this question may seem redundant. I purchased the S4 to get some reference point so I could better understand the forum posts. Unfortunately hearing the S4 has only made me more confused about what people in this forum consider to be good bass. The S4 is bass is getting favorable comments, which is the total opposite of what I think about them.

Thanks,

odigg

Oct 20, 2009 at 2:16 PM Post #2 of 28
The IE8 packs loads of quality and quantity bass. With the right tips, something else than foam.. it wont ruin the spectrum. The isolation isnt that great though. The soundstage match my bookshelf speakers going for 2k bucks and conquer and fight some full size headphones used with desktop systems
+ a portable amp, the bass tightens up and the other parts of the spectrum is more neutral while the bass is powerful. Check out the IE8 and the P3+. Good combo.

Oct 20, 2009 at 3:56 PM Post #5 of 28
Of course you can. If this were not the case, not many people would use in-ears.

I find the bass on my PFE to be deep but definitely not obtrusive. My UM2 is very warm in nature and has significantly more bass than my PFE.

Oct 20, 2009 at 4:13 PM Post #6 of 28
You sure can!
smile.gif

I found (its broken) my UM2 to deliver a quite nice bass performance, both quality and quantity wise. I am sure there are others out there as well.

Oct 20, 2009 at 4:30 PM Post #7 of 28
The SR-001 is the most defined bass i've ever heard from a portable, not much of an impact though.

Oct 20, 2009 at 5:28 PM Post #8 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Punnisher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Of course you can. If this were not the case, not many people would use in-ears.

I think I became skeptical of this because of my experience with the Klipsch S4. Few reviews stated just how boosted the bass is and I was totally shocked that there weren't more reports lambasting the bass of S4.

I began to wonder if IEM users had just gotten used to this type of bass and so the S4 seemed perfectly normal in comparison. So I don't know what to think about the IEM reviews on Head-Fi...

The PFE seems to get a lot of good reviews and is described by some to be bass light. Maybe that means it will be the right amount bass for me
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 20, 2009 at 5:37 PM Post #9 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by odigg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think I became skeptical of this because of my experience with the Klipsch S4. Few reviews stated just how boosted the bass is and I was totally shocked that there weren't more reports lambasting the bass of S4.

I began to wonder if IEM users had just gotten used to this type of bass and so the S4 seemed perfectly normal in comparison. So I don't know what to think about the IEM reviews on Head-Fi...

The PFE seems to get a lot of good reviews and is described by some to be bass light. Maybe that means it will be the right amount bass for me
smily_headphones1.gif

I agree with you on how the S4 performs. The glowing reviews are usually given by newer Head-fi users that are less experience, so that might explain something.

Oct 20, 2009 at 9:35 PM Post #10 of 28
The reason I mention the PFE is because despite its detailed nature in the treble, it has a surprisingly full low end. The balance is just right for me (shure foamies and black filters).

I know what you mean though. You can't expect an in-ear to sound like your favorite full size can, especially at the same pricepoint. For portability you have to sacrifice something.

Oct 20, 2009 at 9:59 PM Post #12 of 28
The IE8 would have amazing bass, probably not as gorgeous as from your D5000 or D7000, but insane response and soundstage from such a minuscule driver. I have personally had really good experience with Super Fi 5 EBs, I still think they provide the best bass and gives the most "fun" factor out of any other IEM I have ever heard.

Oct 21, 2009 at 12:55 AM Post #13 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by ka-boom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Klipsch Custom 3 and the Image X10 both have ample bass. "Too much" for some people.

The Custom 3 bass is more pure, IMHO.

X2 on the Klipsch Image X10s. Super comfortable too and not bad isolation.

Oct 21, 2009 at 2:41 AM Post #15 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Punnisher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The reason I mention the PFE is because despite its detailed nature in the treble, it has a surprisingly full low end. The balance is just right for me (shure foamies and black filters).

I'm planning to get the PFE when they are back in stock at Audeo. From what I've read I'm inferring low end of the PFE is probably similar in quantity to the DT880. I really like the DT880's bass. You have the DT880 and the PFE. Is the bass comparable, at least as far as an IEM can compare to a full sized headphone?

Quote:

I think the S4s have a warm sound signature, but they're also $80. It's not worth comparing them to IEM's which go for several times that price.

I'm in the process of recalibrating my expectations for IEMs. I think a $80 full sized can with the same bass as the S4 would have been labeled a bass cannon. That's not to say there is anything wrong liking the bass on the S4 - everybody has their preferred sound, including me. It's simply an observation.

Everybody, thanks for the comments and recommendations.

When people read D7000 they think "BASS" but I suspect people assume the Denons are much bassier than they actually are. So the IE8 and Super Fi 5 EB is definitely out. The bass on IE8 Headroom FR graph looks pretty extreme. The Klipsch X5 and X10 might be too much as well. The Custom 3 might work but I'll have to see. TF10pro is another option but I've read some weird stories about UE service and the comfort/fit of the TF10Pro.

I need to get more IEM listening experience to get a better reference point when reading reviews
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back