Can You Dig It?: The 70's Soul Experience box set
Jan 2, 2006 at 4:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

uncle b

500+ Head-Fier
Around the mid-to-late 90's, it seemed like the record industry was back in love with a soulful past, reissuing anything from a golden period not so long ago. Of course, that meant they would continue going to the 1970's well, 'till there was nothing left.

I think when this six-disc box set came out (2001), I had really reached a burn-out point of all the "Soul Gold" radio formats, remastered, repackaged, reissued and "As Seen On TV!" soul compilations, and such. Thusly, this set kind of got short-sighted by me, and kinda placed on a shelf...nice to look at, rarely listened to.

I've just recently pulled this thing out, and have REALLY been enjoying it. Though, there are very few new discoveries on here for me, and more than a few played-out tunes and cliches, this is a lovingly compiled package of great 70's soul music, that was the soundtrack to so many in love and living.

Of course, this being a Rhino package, it is presented with class in a faux eight-track storage box, with great photos and liner notes. You can't miss it.

A highly recommended package.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back