Can you decrease skipping in old Sony discman
Oct 5, 2002 at 3:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

docmetal

New Head-Fier
I have recently started collecting and I have a growing collection of old Sony Discmans. I am wondering if there are any easy repairs or cleanings that can decrease the amount some of them skip. I have noticed they skip less with some cds and sometimes just removing and replacing the cd helps dramatically. Any advice would be appreciated. My main concern is my Sony Discman D-T3 in case anyone wonders but I am looking for general information I can use on any old models.

Oct 5, 2002 at 5:30 PM Post #2 of 9
I believe you'll find what you're looking for here ->

http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/F_cdfaq.html

smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 6, 2002 at 7:33 PM Post #3 of 9
My d-35 was skipping all the time..it was very sensitive to vibration to the point of not letting me to touch it while it was playing. . I opened and looked inside and i found what I was expecting. Lots of dust everywhere, hairs and some other nasty stuff . I got two compressed air cans and using their tube sprayed everywhere, and I mean everywhere, including the lens (not too close though). I emptied 2 cans (they go very fast) in 5 minutes. I spent most of the time cleaning the lens assembly and the little plastic gears (as they were stock with dry grase and dust) when the last bottle emptied I just put the cover back and started the player….two things happened..one..the player is less sensitive to vibration and it is a little (just slightly) more quiet. It will still skip if I move the player counterclockwise while playing but that is just due to the deceleration that creates on the spinning disk.
In conclusion: in 10 minutes with 2 cans of compressed air you may minimize the skipping, and I say minimize because I don’t thing you can totally avoid it in such a old unit..mine is 12 years old
eek.gif
and still kicks hard …so a little sensitiveness doesn’t bother me. One important thing is to always keep the bottle vertical or the can will spill the gas over and leave a mark…

i hope this helps….

Oct 7, 2002 at 3:38 AM Post #4 of 9
highway star - a very useful link you have provided - thanks very much
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 7, 2002 at 6:00 AM Post #5 of 9
Mekanoplastic,
thanks for the tip. I have many older Discmand, including the D-35. I must admit that D-35 is very sensitive to vibrations. I might need to do that on some of my units. Where did you use the compress air at? Len, and pick up arm? Anyway, thanks for sharing. D-35 sure kick serious butt. Love its very dynamic headphone out.

Thanks

Oct 9, 2002 at 3:19 AM Post #6 of 9
...Or, you can perform surgery, like I did on my Marantz CD63SE when that developed skipping problems, or how I did on my D777 when I thought the motor arm looked a little dry
biggrin.gif

Oct 9, 2002 at 3:35 AM Post #7 of 9
Duncan,
Surgery? How?

Oct 9, 2002 at 3:43 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by purk
Duncan,
Surgery? How?

Purk,

I can't believe you missed this thread... you must've been on vacation or something
smily_headphones1.gif

(oh... don't read the bit about me never listening to PCDPs through headphone amps ~ nor about taking the E905s motor arm assembly and putting it into my D777... lol, that was 8 months ago, and I didn't have any portable amps, and had only just bought the E905, and it wasn't worn/burnt in at that time
wink.gif
)

Oct 9, 2002 at 3:53 AM Post #9 of 9
Ducan,

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back