Can you convince me to cancel my Sony MDR-XB500 order?
Apr 21, 2013 at 3:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Syndicat3

100+ Head-Fier
I have until tomorrow morning to cancel my order.

I bought a sansa clip+ for $29 and I was going to rockbox it so I could EQ these headphones (from what I've read, they EQ well). I can't decide between whether I should just get these or save up a bit more and wait for something like the Custom One Pros to go on sale.

What I listen to right now: 320 and FLAC electronic music... Junior Boys, Lemaitre, Daft Punk, a little bit of electro house, nu disco, glow fi, like Slow Magic, Chrome Sparks, and some rap, like Kanye West. I am a bit of a basshead- I probably like a warmer headphone.

Anyway, maybe you can convince me one way or another. 

Apr 21, 2013 at 4:29 PM Post #2 of 25
The XB500 have more than just a little bit of extra bass; they have a massive amount of extra bass. Be sure that's what you want.

Apr 21, 2013 at 10:33 PM Post #4 of 25
Quote:
The XB500 have more than just a little bit of extra bass; they have a massive amount of extra bass. Be sure that's what you want.

Yes, I'm interested in a really fun, colored headphone and later I will save up for an audiophile headphone and proper amp.

We mean a lot of bass, more than Beats.

Apr 21, 2013 at 10:46 PM Post #5 of 25

Take a good look at that graph. That is the XB500 destroying Beats by Dre in pure bass quantity. 

If you want fun basshead can taken to its ultimate logical conclusion, look no further. The only thing better than an XB500 in that respect is strapping woofers to your head. 

Apr 22, 2013 at 12:24 AM Post #6 of 25
Quote:

Take a good look at that graph. That is the XB500 destroying Beats by Dre in pure bass quantity. 

If you want fun basshead can taken to its ultimate logical conclusion, look no further. The only thing better than an XB500 in that respect is strapping woofers to your head. 

Quote:
We mean a lot of bass, more than Beats.

Thanks guys. One thing that would bother me is if the vocals in songs would lower and raise whenever the bass kicks in... like when you set the bass really high in an equalizer and the vocals noticeably flutter in and out. Is this something I'd have to worry about with these headphones or no? I plan on rockboxing my sansa clip+ immediately, letting the headphones burn in, and playing with the EQ.

I am not an audiophile and I am a bit of a basshead, but I just want the mids and highs to also sound decent

Apr 22, 2013 at 2:59 AM Post #7 of 25
I dont see how this could possibly be a pleasurable listening experience... Do you really need more convincing beyond this FR graph?
I have been a very vocal HF proponent of color over neutrality, but this takes that philosophy into the realm of a flawed presentation.

Apr 22, 2013 at 7:24 AM Post #8 of 25
Quote:
I dont see how this could possibly be a pleasurable listening experience... Do you really need more convincing beyond this FR graph?
I have been a very vocal HF proponent of color over neutrality, but this takes that philosophy into the realm of a flawed presentation.

Keep in mind that I'm not an audiophile- this graph is relatively meaningless to me.

I'm going by what people like RPGWiZaRD and MalVeauX have said about them, and they were apparently the best of the XB line and enjoyable to listen to for InnerFidelity.

If I can find a pair of really fun headphones in the $100-140 range for what I want to listen to, I can still cancel this order, but I keep coming back to this model for some reason as it seems to me that the next best thing for what I want is the Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro, which is still too expensive of a purchase at $200.

Apr 22, 2013 at 8:15 AM Post #9 of 25
The XB500's mids sound like garbage.

Apr 22, 2013 at 8:35 AM Post #10 of 25
Quote:
Thanks guys. One thing that would bother me is if the vocals in songs would lower and raise whenever the bass kicks in... like when you set the bass really high in an equalizer and the vocals noticeably flutter in and out.

Headphones don't do stuff like that. Equalizers and compressors do.

Apr 22, 2013 at 9:32 AM Post #14 of 25
Some of you here will be relieved to know that although I paid, they do not have the XB500s. 

Looks like I'm back at square one looking for a $100-200 pair of great headphones.

Apr 22, 2013 at 9:59 AM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

I've been thinking about this one as well but even the bass? Really? Hmm.. will have to look into them more.

Yes, more is not better. Unless that is specifically what you are looking for
smile.gif
 I've owned the xb500 and 700 and while they are fun sounding at first I quickly grew tired of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back