Can you compare a PC to a $1500+ cd-player ?
Feb 25, 2005 at 9:27 AM Post #61 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
Most people who use computers as a source usually don't have as large budgets . I don't think the mobo, PSU, etc. is all that important in the sense that there are other higher priorities for those on a lower budget. And if you want to be picky, you should also address yours fans and harddrive since their motors may pump noise back into the system. I recommend not usings any
tongue.gif
or powering externally.

The easiest thing to do is just get an external soundcard/DAC and avoid the insanity inside the computer.

I have sound-absorbing matting inside my case, doublethick around my harddrives
biggrin.gif

BTW, One man's insanity is another man's fun hobby.

It's kinda like vinyl. Part of the fun is in the upkeep
biggrin.gif

Or, to translate... for some of us, simple upgradeitis isn't enough. We wanna go the whole nine and have it consume our lives. Or something.

Feb 25, 2005 at 10:51 AM Post #62 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sduibek
I think this is the reason people who make PC audio rigs really need to consider every component. Motherboard, PSU, all that. It all should be considered an "interconnect". Bad wiring or low quality traces = lowfi sound. At least IME.

lool.. it never ends.

"OH GOD NO THAT TRACE ISN'T SILVER ENOUGH! QUICK! NEW MOTHERBOARD! BEFORE MY EARS ARE VIOLATED@!~"

jesus, low quality traces? can you even tell the difference between traces by looking at two modern motherboards (all of which are created by what's probably the exact same automated process)? LOL.

Feb 25, 2005 at 2:27 PM Post #63 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasper994
Why is it that there are a bunch of people here, that without having heard it, are claiming the supieriority of the Lynx card? Yes, it's supposed to be a good card but does anyone here actually know how it stacks up to the E-MU 1212m/1820m, RME HDSP or Benchmark DAC-1? Are we judging solely on price? There's a ton on $$$ soundcards out there that don't even stack up to the 1212m in quality, so let's not use price as a quality indicator.

For the record, I do own a Lynx L22. Also a 1212M and a 9632.

Feb 25, 2005 at 5:10 PM Post #64 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by J@ck
For the record, I do own a Lynx L22. Also a 1212M and a 9632.

Have you posted any detailed comparisons?? How do they stack up to each other? Is the 1212m or the 9632 modded?

Feb 25, 2005 at 9:14 PM Post #65 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by IstariAsuka
Have you posted any detailed comparisons?? How do they stack up to each other? Is the 1212m or the 9632 modded?

No, I haven't posted any comparisons. I don't feel words can describe sounds very well, at least I cannot.
The 9632 and 1212M are all stock. I feel the Lynx L22 worth its price. It is hard to get same level of joy even with a $~500 DAC. dAck and SN products are all good but sounded quite different.
L22(~$650), 9632(~$450) and 1212M(~$200) all sound very different. And I feel they are all very good at their price.

Feb 25, 2005 at 9:49 PM Post #66 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sduibek
I have sound-absorbing matting inside my case, doublethick around my harddrives
biggrin.gif

BTW, One man's insanity is another man's fun hobby.

It's kinda like vinyl. Part of the fun is in the upkeep
biggrin.gif

Or, to translate... for some of us, simple upgradeitis isn't enough. We wanna go the whole nine and have it consume our lives. Or something.

"noise" isn't just external noise. what we're mainly talking about is electrical "noise" introduced from unregulated psu, hard drive, and i'm not even going to go on. basically, the inside of a computer is a mess of EMI RF's, dirty power, and blah blah blah. it's not a "clean" place for a soundcard to live. that being said, i use the emu 0404, but if i had your budget, i'd go external dac without a question. personally, i'd give the scott nixon tubedac (kit) a try (NOS), mainly out of interest, rather than thinking it's "better" than benchmark etc.

Feb 25, 2005 at 9:52 PM Post #67 of 72
Quote:

No, I haven't posted any comparisons. I don't feel words can describe sounds very well, at least I cannot.
The 9632 and 1212M are all stock. I feel the Lynx L22 worth its price. It is hard to get same level of joy even with a $~500 DAC. dAck and SN products are all good but sounded quite different.
L22(~$650), 9632(~$450) and 1212M(~$200) all sound very different. And I feel they are all very good at their price.

not to press you (too much
smily_headphones1.gif
) , but i know there's a bunch of us who would like to know any feelings you have about the differences between them.

Feb 25, 2005 at 10:03 PM Post #68 of 72
Quote:

Count me among those who'd like to hear your impressions, especially between NOS DACs and the 1212m. Which would you select, and why??

-coma

Feb 27, 2005 at 2:19 AM Post #69 of 72
The 1212M is quite good already considering the price.
The 9632 sounds "warmer" and "tubier" compare to 1212M. It got more mid and lower range. The amazing thing is it keeps all the details at the same time.
The L22 sounds like the 1212M with a lot more "body". I don't know how to say it but it make music sounds more "real".

The NOS DACs sound totally different from these soundcards. They focus on the mid range a lot more. They perform their best when playing smooth Jazz music.

I ended up with 1212M and Larvy Blue DAC. It is an amazing DAC, just perfect, for me at least.

Feb 27, 2005 at 4:46 AM Post #70 of 72
Quote:

The NOS DACs sound totally different from these soundcards. They focus on the mid range a lot more. They perform their best when playing smooth Jazz music.

True they do sound different. But i wouldn't generalize that they focus on midrange and playing a particular type of music. It all depends on implementation.

Feb 27, 2005 at 7:39 AM Post #71 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
True they do sound different. But i wouldn't generalize that they focus on midrange and playing a particular type of music. It all depends on implementation.

You are right, I should be more clear about that.
I listen mostly Jazz, soft rock/pop and classical music. I feel the NOS dacs sound better in Jazz and soft music than in classical music. They are amazing when playing vocal, but I think everyone knows that already.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back