Can you bypass the amp of the pico dac/amp and just use it as a dac?
Jul 23, 2008 at 9:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

bergman2

500+ Head-Fier
I have been reading the forums diligently and looking for pics of the pico dac/amp but none answer this q directly, only obliquely, and the back pics of the pico only show the pico sans dac so i dont know if there are unbalanced outs on it...i am interested in possibly getting a used pico dac/amp and using it with my earmax pro in amp duties and the pico in dac duties....well, can i do it???

Jul 23, 2008 at 4:25 PM Post #3 of 15
I don't understand...so ur using the headphone out mini to pipe the signal to another hp amp? If I understand u right this is not BYPASSSING the amp portion of the pico...where is the out plug on the pico dac/amp? front/back/mini/pair of unbalanced??

Jul 23, 2008 at 4:36 PM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by bergman2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't understand...so ur using the headphone out mini to pipe the signal to another hp amp? If I understand u right this is not BYPASSSING the amp portion of the pico...where is the out plug on the pico dac/amp? front/back/mini/pair of unbalanced??

there is no dedicated line-out on the Pico, you'll have to use the headphone out as a variable line out

Jul 23, 2008 at 5:23 PM Post #5 of 15
then my suspicions are confirmed...the amp is not being bypassed...i tried this same thing b4 with computer > rsa predator > earmax pro and the amplification of the signal sounded off...i'm not sure this would be a good match for my purposes...why is it so hard to find just a good ss dac to use with my computer rig and earmax pro?!?!?! uuggghhhh!!!!

Jul 23, 2008 at 8:36 PM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

then my suspicions are confirmed...the amp is not being bypassed...i tried this same thing b4 with computer > rsa predator > earmax pro and the amplification of the signal sounded off...i'm not sure this would be a good match for my purposes...why is it so hard to find just a good ss dac to use with my computer rig and earmax pro?!?!?! uuggghhhh!!!!

As mentioned, of course the Pico amp isn't bypassed but it sounds damn good to me using it this way.

There are plenty of SS DACs available. I don't know your budget or what level of performance you're after.

As an example:

Pacific Valve & Electric Company Solid State DACs

Jul 23, 2008 at 8:48 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by aaron313 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is a way to bypass it, but it involves soldering.

eek.gif

Don't you dare hurt my precious Pico!

tongue.gif

Jul 23, 2008 at 8:59 PM Post #9 of 15
didnt mean to get pissy, and i'm sure it sounds good, i'm just exasperated by the whole rigmarole of fine tuning, auditioning, and etc. and thanks to all of you for your input....as for my price i'm looking at $4-6 clams...i'm hoping to snag a used lavry or benchmark if one comes up---these will also offer me good future upgrade paths for possible future balanced excursions

Jul 23, 2008 at 9:10 PM Post #10 of 15
So what your saying then, you can't just use the dac of any portable and then run a mini plug to RCA to another amp?

Jul 23, 2008 at 9:18 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

didnt mean to get pissy, and i'm sure it sounds good, i'm just exasperated by the whole rigmarole of fine tuning, auditioning, and etc. and thanks to all of you for your input....as for my price i'm looking at $4-6 clams...i'm hoping to snag a used lavry or benchmark if one comes up---these will also offer me good future upgrade paths for possible future balanced excursions

No problem. Many people like to audition and test a lot of gear. Lucky for my wallet I'm not one of them. I've managed to build a decent rig that I'm happy with and no plans to upgrade any time soon.

Your Lavry or Benchmark idea sound like a good one.

Jul 23, 2008 at 9:23 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by inthecup /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So what your saying then, you can't just use the dac of any portable and then run a mini plug to RCA to another amp?

Correct. DAC cannot be bypassed.

When you get your Pico try the headphone out to your other amp of choice and let me know what you think(if you're getting the DAC version of course).
cool.gif

Jul 23, 2008 at 9:27 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Correct. DAC cannot be bypassed.

When you get your Pico try the headphone out to your other amp of choice and let me know what you think(if you're getting the DAC version of course).
cool.gif

So when I finally get my tube amp, I will need to get a separate dac? Laptop..dac..amp..hp. Thanks for the info, lots of misinformation going on in here. I was told by more then 1 person that I could use my portable dac and then run it to my amp.

Is this true of the Predator also?

Jul 23, 2008 at 9:52 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by inthecup /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So when I finally get my tube amp, I will need to get a separate dac? Laptop..dac..amp..hp. Thanks for the info, lots of misinformation going on in here. I was told by more then 1 person that I could use my portable dac and then run it to my amp.

You will be able to use your Pico w/ DAC from your laptop feeding the analog signal directly into your tube amp from the Pico's headphone output. I promise it will sound very good.

I use my Pico this way everyday. I send the analog signal to my PreSonus Central Station via 1/8" > RCA. I then send a balanced signal to an Aphex 204 processor where an unbalanced signal is sent to a Meier Audio Corda Cross-1 (crossfeed). From there it goes to my Woo Audio 3 tube amp.

With this setup I can use the tube amp or the SS amp in the CS.

Jul 23, 2008 at 11:01 PM Post #15 of 15
i agree with greatdane---you can run it like this and indeed must run it like this (if you want to also use another outside amp) with dac/amps like the pico/dac and predator...its just that i'm picky about the purity of the signal and i dont want the signal going through any additional paths/circuits then are minimally necessary to give me the sound...but once again, soundwise its barely noticeable to just about indistinguishable...i still can notice a little bit of artificial "pumping" or "juicing" to coin an inartful new audio phrase for the particular phenomenon....but you know us audiophiles, all of us are anal in some way about our s**t...this is just mine

Users who are viewing this thread

Back