Can you actually calculate the volume of a headphone?
Dec 1, 2005 at 1:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

morbo667

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone!

I've read some threads about headphone-volume on head-fi and - of course - I start becoming paranoid about my hearing. So I started to listen at lower volme, which ist all right most of the times, but sometimes I wonder if I could listen a little louder ... well I don't know since I have no idea how loud I'm listening in the first place ...
rolleyes.gif

... so I began to think:

theres a lot technical stuff I can find out about my system, for example:

HD600 .. 300 Ohm Imp. and 97dB/mW sensitivity
Corda HA2Mk2 .. x3 or 10dB of gain
AQVOX USB 2 D/A .. 2V output

Since the Corda has a stepped attenuator, I can probably even ask Jan Meier for the exact attenuation with each step.

Shouldn't I be able to calculate the volume I listen at with all these information ?

Btw. I know that the volume also depends on the recording, but I think many modern pop/rock-stuff is recorded quite similar and pretty loud so there shouldn't be to much of an error there?

Dec 1, 2005 at 3:44 PM Post #4 of 13
theoretically yes you could.... the 2 big variables I see are the headphone sensitivity and physical fit onto the individuals head.

Garrett

Dec 1, 2005 at 6:13 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sugano-san
Click on the following link. It may be helpful.

http://www.headphone-amplifier.com/calculator.htm

Thanks for the link ... it really is useful. I've been at that site before but didn't have enough knowlage back then.

A couple of questions though:

1. If the amp has gain x3 ... can I just multiply the output-voltage by 3 (2000mV -> 6000mV) to calculate the maximal volume (no attenuation)?

2. Should I get the same solution as in 1., if I just add 10dB to the solution when just inserting 2000mV (its almost the same but not exactly ... but then maybe a gain of x3 is not exactly +10dB)?

Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
theoretically yes you could.... the 2 big variables I see are the headphone sensitivity and physical fit onto the individuals head.

Garrett

Do you think the sensitivites, that the manufacturers specify can be far away from reality ?

Dec 1, 2005 at 7:01 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by morbo667

Do you think the sensitivites, that the manufacturers specify can be far away from reality ?

IMHO yes, its very possible. As far as I know there is no regulatory body to mandidate and standardize measurement methods, and audit what the manufacturers publish.

Dec 1, 2005 at 9:25 PM Post #7 of 13
I once had a set of Koss ESP6A, electrostatics which had a built-in sound level warning system consisting of a red led which came on when sound pressure levels exceeded 95 db.

Dec 1, 2005 at 9:46 PM Post #8 of 13
I guess a microphone could measure the volume of any headphone accurately bar the microphone placement. But, if you would rather just get a feel for how your amp/headphone combo transmits sound I suggest positioning a mic 2-4 cm from the headphhone driver and seeing if the volume is the same. I think it will work fairly well except for IEMs which will sound louder due to blocking out more sound. Well, I guess then you have to figure in closed and open cans. So, not sure if it will work between those categories, but within one category it should.

Dec 1, 2005 at 11:51 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by edstrelow
I once had a set of Koss ESP6A, electrostatics which had a built-in sound level warning system consisting of a red led which came on when sound pressure levels exceeded 95 db.

I think they should have something like this on portable players, it would be really useful when you are out and about and really cant hear how loud your headphones are because of backround noice. Really useful feature, IMO.

Dec 1, 2005 at 11:54 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beach123456
I think they should have something like this on portable players, it would be really useful when you are out and about and really cant hear how loud your headphones are because of backround noice. Really useful feature, IMO.

I agree, although 95db is already too high. Should be more like 85 to give a warning.

Dec 2, 2005 at 12:13 AM Post #12 of 13
It won't be easy to calculate the "absolute" dB's you would be listening at just from specs of the electronics, because it all depends on what volume gets recorded in the recording you listen to. What will be possible to compute with your approach I think will be the "relative" volume (e.g. in terms of -dB's) with respect to the reference, non-attenuated 0 dB.

To compute absolute DB's being put out by your headphone driver at ear distance you will need an SPL meter.

Here as an anecdote: once I measured the volume at the sweet spot of my speaker rig, this was the volume I was listening to a Tool song (Ticks and Leaches), it measured about 85 dB on average at a specific steadily loud part.

Placed the tip of the same Radio Shack SPL meter next to one of the drivers of my HD650's, level with the ear pads (the other driver behind a small pillow). I had adjusted the volume on the 650's so that I had perceived it somewhat similarly loud to what I had perceived just seconds before at the sweet spot from the speaker rig. The spl meter also measured about 85 dB from the headphone driver at the same section of the Tool song.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back