Can winamp sound like foobar2k or at least close?
Jul 15, 2005 at 4:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

fishtankfish

100+ Head-Fier
Im new to this and i have been comparing foobar and winamp. I've always used winamp and i love its interface and i dont want to change. but i can tell that foobar is definitely better sounding. i found this site to help me tweak foobar a little and im getting a good sound through kernel streaming.

http://www.techspot.com/tweaks/foobar/

anyway, are there tweaks and/or plug-ins or anything i can do to make winamp sound at least closer to foobar if not as good? i know it probably can't sound just like foobar but can i improve it all?

can anyone help?

Jul 15, 2005 at 2:59 PM Post #2 of 7
Sure Winamp can sound as good. Use the ASIO output plugin and ASIO4All if your tone spitter does not provide native ASIO. (If you should not like the default MP3 input plugin - even though it's just about as good as it gets for one that only outputs 16 bit samples - , several third-party replacements are available.) A problem with Winamp is DSP accuracy - most DSP plugins are limited to 16 bit samples, only a few support 24 bit. As opposed to that, internal processing in Foobar always uses 64 (or was it 32?) bit samples. Foobar's author, Peter Pawlowski, used to write Winamp plugins and was well aware of (and annoyed by) Winamp's limitations.

Jul 15, 2005 at 10:52 PM Post #3 of 7
Yeah just install the ASIO plugin

http://www3.cypress.ne.jp/otachan/out_asio(exe)_060.7z

And then you can fool around with different decoders if you like, but the default sounds good.

Then you will be good to go
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 17, 2005 at 1:02 AM Post #4 of 7
I current have my sound card connected via coax to my receiver. This ASIO, I presume, bypasses the sound card completely and goes straight through to my receiver now, much like AC3 audio does? Because the volume button no longer works on Winamp...

Can you explain a bit how this plugin works?

Thanks!

Edit: And is it just me, or does Winamp now use NO cpu power when playing? Usually, it used 4-6% of my CPU when playing, but now it uses absolutely nothing.

Jul 17, 2005 at 1:43 AM Post #5 of 7
Je, je. Winamp have many things in common with Foobar.

A litle bit of history here: Peter, the Foobar developer, used to work for Winamp long time ago. He found out that there were few things wrong with Winamp, so he decided to create his own monster player. That's how Foobar get born. Thanks Peter, where ever you are.

Jul 20, 2005 at 7:27 AM Post #6 of 7
imo... winamp and foobar sound pretty much the same no matter how many times I do an AB between foobar's ks and winamp's waveout >_> *course I'm just using a phillips HP895 headphone + integrated soundcard*

Jul 20, 2005 at 9:30 AM Post #7 of 7
From Foobar's FAQ:

Does foobar2000 sound better than other players?

No. Most of "sound quality differences" people "hear" are placebo effect (at least with real music), as actual differences in produced sound data are below their noise floor (1 or 2 last bits in 16bit samples). Foobar2000 has sound processing features such as software resampling or 24bit output on new high-end soundcards, but most of other mainstream players are capable of doing the same by now.

Now... this honesty is part of the reason why I wouldn't use another player nonetheless.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back