Can we add a USB or any other AMP/DAC to a TABLET PC? help appreciated
May 14, 2013 at 5:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

ipadman

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone

Long time since I last visited.
I have being reading up on a few threads both here and elsewhere regarding DACS for Tablets? and I must admit I am no wiser?

are there any Top Tablets out there weather they be IOS or Android which can accept a DAC/AMP?
Ideally it would be a model which accepts sd cards also?

Look forward to your replies
Regards Steve
L3000.gif

May 14, 2013 at 6:02 PM Post #2 of 8
Any portable DAC/AMP will work with a tablet, phone, any device with a headphone port. Fiio E7 or E17 would really work well.

May 14, 2013 at 8:26 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:
Any portable DAC/AMP will work with a tablet, phone, any device with a headphone port. Fiio E7 or E17 would really work well.

Well any amp can be fed from any device putting out a line level analog signal. A DAC would require some sort of digital signal, be it PCM over Coax, PCM over Optical, PCM over USB, or another protocol on one of those busses. 

Some tablets work with USB DACs, some DACs are designed to work with specific devices namely the DACs for iDevices. However I'm no authority on such products.

May 15, 2013 at 1:34 AM Post #4 of 8
beerchug.gif
hello 65535 & BigTerminator

Good to hear from you both,many thanks.
I must admit that I am not very clued up on all this stuff,so would appreciate it, if you could please keep it as simple as possible

I really need to know which of the top Tablets would be a match for a DAC/AMP portable or otherwise
I must have being reading the wrong threads? as they were all saying how hard it was to get a Tablet to partner a DAC? I did not understand what they were saying
redface.gif

Really obliged to you

Regards Steve

May 15, 2013 at 1:44 AM Post #5 of 8
I recall that Fostex makes a splendid DAC/Amp combo unit with onboard lithium power supply that pairs excellently with iDevices from iPod to iPad. However this was before the Lightning connector came in to play.

Centrance has the Hi-Fi-M8 as an up and comer in the portable DAC/Amp market, I believe also aimed towards the 30pin iDevices not sure how other portable OSs and devices will work with it.

May 15, 2013 at 1:55 AM Post #6 of 8
Hi 65535;

Excellent reply.much obliged.
All my music is 24/96 files currently on my old laptop and external hard disk.
My wife owns an ipad 4 but I am in a minority and do not like it that much,but if the Ipad turns out to be the ideal music server for what ever reason I would consider it? otherwise I am looking at a Android with expandable memory.

Regards Steve
beerchug.gif

May 15, 2013 at 2:28 AM Post #7 of 8
Hello everyone

Long time since I last visited.
I have being reading up on a few threads both here and elsewhere regarding DACS for Tablets? and I must admit I am no wiser?

are there any Top Tablets out there weather they be IOS or Android which can accept a DAC/AMP?
Ideally it would be a model which accepts sd cards also?

Look forward to your replies
Regards Steve:L3000:

The Samsung Note II and S3 phones have USB audio out capability and works with quite a few different DACS (but not all DACs). I've used my Note 2 with the ODAC. Works great. Apparently, the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 tablet may as well: http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/645#post_8814831

If you are tech savvy enough to root the device and install a new kernel, I understand that the Nexus 7 can do USB audio out, too.

May 15, 2013 at 2:37 AM Post #8 of 8
normal_smile .gif

Hello cel4145

Good to hear from you,much obliged.

Quote:
If you are tech savvy enough to root the device and install a new kernel, I understand that the Nexus 7 can do USB audio out, too.

Afraid not,but this is the stuff I was refering to in my earlier replies, the Kernal installs e.t.c.

I did not think of the Samsung notes e.t.c. I had being looking at the ASUS transformers & Sony tablet Z?

I am not in any great hurry,so time to get this just right....the Best Tablet DAC/AMP combo possible??

All the best Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back