Can tube amps be considered Reference quality? Looking to pair a balanced ref quality amp with my hd800's
Mar 1, 2012 at 5:08 AM Post #16 of 19

Quote:
Dang, the phonitor looks drool worthy haha, but its a little upwards of my $$$$ range...I think im looking at a schiit combo, but im finishing up my research today and will make a purchase by the end of the day...thanks again all!

The Auditor is more in your price range, and also will fit better for 300-600ohm hps so it can work well with your 800.

EDIT: if you want tube amp to sounds like solid state amp, is better to go with the SS amp,  I think you should hear those amps before you purchase any of them, research without a reference point is not really much.

Apr 28, 2012 at 5:50 PM Post #19 of 19

Quote:
So I guess my definition and idea of reference is uncolored neutral transparent sound...
As i understand tube amps can create "warmth" and "sonic character" as advertised and suggested in many many cases...
In my opinion this suggests the sound is likely colored or less neutral than preferred for my specific needs.
So i guess my questions remains in that: are there tube amps that can potentially keep a very neutral character, or is solid state the only way to go, and furthermore what balanced amps are suggested to meet the aforementioned criteria then.

-Thanks again

That's how all sane people define it ..
No, tube-amps are NOT 'reference' . And 'reference' DOES have a meaning, but people here won't like what it is :
It's about OBJECTIVE,MEASURABLE PERFORMANCE .

They ALL have major drawbacks, compared to properly designed solid-state amps .
It's fine that you are interested in tubes and all, and it is possible to make a 'well-sounding' tube-amp,
but don't kid yourselves : There are very good reasons why tube-amps are not used for monitoring purposes in recording-studios !
(OK, you might be able to find a few 'all-analog' studios where they still think 68dB dynamic range is better than 98 ..)
In studios, tubes are typically used when you want coloration, ie during recording .  
Tubes may be new to you, but it's an OLD technology and saying that tubes are better than solid-state is somehow like claiming a steam-engine is better than a jet-engine . 

Quote:
..but because tube amps are usually much better at sound stage and holographic imaging than solid state amps are.

No, they really aren't .
You try go sell a tube power-amp to a recording-engineer using that 'argument' .

I'd say forget about tube-amps, they do NOT sound better, but cost a lot more !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back