Can tube amps be considered Reference quality? Looking to pair a balanced ref quality amp with my hd800's
Feb 28, 2012 at 9:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

feedme07

New Head-Fier
Hello all,
I'm new to the forum and the world of headphones, and always do my mixing and mastering in studio with reference monitors connected to firewire based audio interfaces with inter d/a /ad conversion etc...now im trying to do my homework on a headphone amp and dac combo. before posting this I read threads and tried to search before coming to all of the forum members but i feel my question is specific enough to ask...

anyways, it seems tube amps are a great option to increase sound quality and listening enjoyment, but the idea of extra added warmth/color seems to turn me away from any tube amp options for mixing and mastering purposes...am i wrong to think that way?
That being said im looking for a reference quality amp to pair with my hd800's, keeping the sound as a transparent as possible for mixing and mastering purposes, in addition to a built in dac or any other external suggestions. to make things more complicated my hd800's are balanced so i need a balanced reference quality amp.

if anyone has any suggestions I'd be very grateful! 
I dont have thousands of dollars to spend unfortunately, which also makes things difficult, but anything at the 1k price range and below is open game.

-Thank you all for your help

Feb 28, 2012 at 5:23 PM Post #3 of 19
"Reference" is one of the most overused, misused, and misunderstood word in all of audio.  It has no valid meaning anymore.  To paraphrase a line from the movie Tommy Boy, "I can go the bathroom in a box and slap a guarantee on it, but all you've got is a guaranteed piece of crap."

You can print the word "reference" on anything you want, including an AM radio.  Doesn't mean anything.

Feb 28, 2012 at 6:17 PM Post #4 of 19
Understood, and good point...ps: tommy-boy is an excellent classic haha...So I guess my definition and idea of reference is uncolored neutral transparent sound...As i understand tube amps can create "warmth" and "sonic character" as advertised and suggested in many many cases...In my opinion this suggests the sound is likely colored or less neutral than preferred for my specific needs. So i guess my questions remains in that: are there tube amps that can potentially keep a very neutral character, or is solid state the only way to go, and furthermore what balanced amps are suggested to meet the aforementioned criteria then.

-Thanks again

Feb 28, 2012 at 6:31 PM Post #5 of 19
Yes, tube amps can be extremely linear, neutral, and uncolored.  In fact, one of the great misconceptions of headphone tube amps is that they are always warm and syrupy.  This gets believed because many loudspeaker tube amps do color the sound to be warm, romantic, and syrupy.  But, because tube amps have much less power and gain, they do not automatically lend themselves to being warm.  Some tube amps can be ice cold.

In the end, it all depends on the circuit used, the tubes in the circuit, and how the designer intended for the end sound to be.  You can definitely have extremely neutral tube amps.  In fact, many of us (myself included) are drawn to tube amps not because of a desire for warmth, but because tube amps are usually much better at sound stage and holographic imaging than solid state amps are.

I guarantee that for every sound you desire, you'll find a tube and a solid state amp analogous comparison.

Feb 28, 2012 at 6:38 PM Post #6 of 19
Ok this answer has already helped me think and understand quite a bit! Thanks for making it more clear. I think i'm drawn to the idea of tube amplification because its something new to me as well, and will likely enhance the soundstage as you've suggested. because I don't know enough about tube and circuit design yet, do you have any suggestions of tube amps that are designed to be quite neutral as discussed, or just for reference or interest sake any solid state amps youd suggest to do the same thing?
-Thanks again for all your help!

Feb 28, 2012 at 6:39 PM Post #7 of 19
ps...just realized the word reference used in my last sentence was an accidental pun 
dt880smile.png

Feb 28, 2012 at 6:43 PM Post #8 of 19
You're welcome!

The Schiit Valhalla is quite neutral.  So is the Trafomatic Experience Head One.  Some say the Woo 6 is neutral, but others say it leans to euphonic, so you'll have to research that one a little more on your own.

Here's a good thread to get you started into your journey:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/402585/review-summary-a-ranking-of-32-tube-and-tube-hybrid-headphone-amps#post_5313585

Quote:
 do you have any suggestions of tube amps that are designed to be quite neutral as discussed,
-Thanks again for all your help!

Feb 28, 2012 at 6:49 PM Post #9 of 19
Great!...Thanks for the solid starting point and prompt responses, I really appreciate the help and will be sure to post up what I decide to purchase, as i'm ready to buy as soon as I find the right one for me. 

Feb 28, 2012 at 6:54 PM Post #10 of 19
Awesome!  And do let us know what you bought and post a review of it!

Quote:
Great!...Thanks for the solid starting point and prompt responses, I really appreciate the help and will be sure to post up what I decide to purchase, as i'm ready to buy as soon as I find the right one for me. 

Feb 28, 2012 at 6:55 PM Post #11 of 19
 Some days ago I said to a friend that my La Figaro 339 tube amp sounds more neutral than his solid state amp, that I've owned before, but he didn't believe it.
frown.gif

Feb 28, 2012 at 6:56 PM Post #12 of 19
Yes, tube amps can be extremely linear, neutral, and uncolored.  In fact, one of the great misconceptions of headphone tube amps is that they are always warm and syrupy.  This gets believed because many loudspeaker tube amps do color the sound to be warm, romantic, and syrupy.  But, because tube amps have much less power and gain, they do not automatically lend themselves to being warm.  Some tube amps can be ice cold.

In the end, it all depends on the circuit used, the tubes in the circuit, and how the designer intended for the end sound to be.  You can definitely have extremely neutral tube amps.  In fact, many of us (myself included) are drawn to tube amps not because of a desire for warmth, but because tube amps are usually much better at sound stage and holographic imaging than solid state amps are.

I guarantee that for every sound you desire, you'll find a tube and a solid state amp analogous comparison.

You sir are a hero, finally an answer I can fully endorse in a suggestion thread.

Check out this for info regarding OTL amps.
http://www.audiodesignguide.com/otl/otl.html

Feb 28, 2012 at 7:33 PM Post #13 of 19
beerchug.gif

Quote:
You sir are a hero, finally an answer I can fully endorse in a suggestion thread.
Check out this for info regarding OTL amps.
http://www.audiodesignguide.com/otl/otl.html

Feb 29, 2012 at 10:40 AM Post #15 of 19
Dang, the phonitor looks drool worthy haha, but its a little upwards of my $$$$ range...I think im looking at a schiit combo, but im finishing up my research today and will make a purchase by the end of the day...thanks again all!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back