Can the squeeze box operate hooked up direct to a HD?
Jun 4, 2008 at 10:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

m0b1liz3

100+ Head-Fier
I read about the squeeze box and thought it was a cool idea. I then thought it would be better if you could just have the same thing hooked direct to an ext. hd full of mp3s from which it could play directly. Can this be done? I don't really care about streaming audio over my LAN. I just thought it would be nice to have an isolated stereo setup that was directly connected to a HD with my music without needing to stream audio or hook up a computer.

Jun 4, 2008 at 12:01 PM Post #2 of 12
The squeezebox needs to run off a computer. It works by receiving the audio stream from your PC, either via LAN or wifi. You can't connect it directly to an external HDD.

Jun 4, 2008 at 12:05 PM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by jules650 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The squeezebox needs to run off a computer. It works by receiving the audio stream from your PC, either via LAN or wifi. You can't connect it directly to an external HDD.

Correct. The only thing a Squeezebox can do without a computer powered up somewhere else on the network is internet radio.

Jun 4, 2008 at 1:00 PM Post #4 of 12
Basically I thought it would be good if there was a device to make a stand alone high quality mp3 player out of my existing hard drive. I am getting the feeling that it doesn't exist. Building one might might not be worth the costs involved either.

Jun 5, 2008 at 2:24 PM Post #5 of 12
There are standalone hi-fi hdd based players out there but I they are quite pricey.

McIntosh | MS750

I'm sure there a few cheaper ones but I can't remember what they are called.

Jun 5, 2008 at 2:44 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You could use a NAS unit...

Unfortunately not directly off the majority of NAS drives as I found out.
mad.gif

Still there is the opportunity to run directly off some NAS and in the end if you have a NAS somewhere, a laptop somewhere and a Squeezebox somewhere it's not so bad.

Jun 5, 2008 at 3:21 PM Post #8 of 12
I didn't realize the Squeeze box cost so much. I think my money is better spent on other audio gear first. They are over 300 in Aus. I could almost buy an EEE701 laptop for that (although I suppose I would still need an Alien DAC)

Jun 5, 2008 at 11:30 PM Post #9 of 12
I've had the SB3 for a couple of years now, and today my Duet just arrived with the new controller. I really just wanted the controller, because I my SB3 has a lot of mods done to it. So the extra player is up in the bedroom.

But man, the new controller is AWESOME!

Squeezebox rocks....

Jun 6, 2008 at 12:04 AM Post #10 of 12
As everyone has said above, an HD needs a computer in order to access the data. A wired or wireless network in your home is needed to distribute the muic stored on an external HD to other devices. The Squeezebox offers an eloquent way to access the music. You can also use a laptop or other computer to receive the music and have it feed into devices that end up in your headphones.

Jun 7, 2008 at 2:00 PM Post #12 of 12
I have been using the setup with qnap 109 and 500gb samsung hd hardwired through my Linksys 54g router. Works like a charm. There might be a 1 second hick up when browsing (200gb flac files), but nothing that gets annoying. If I want, I can just take the SB3 outside plug in my headphones, or better, plug in my amp and then my headphones, and enjoy some good music in the fresh air :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back