Can the Shiit stack be placed sideways?
Jan 20, 2015 at 9:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Shimunogora

New Head-Fier
In all of the pictures I see the Asgard 2 above the Birost etc., and now that I have really limited desk space I'd like to change their orientations to both standing at. Will this be fine for the heatsinks? I can't seem to immediately find anyone who does this.

Jan 20, 2015 at 10:34 AM Post #2 of 5
It's fine - it might actually be better for the heatsink given the chassis functions as such, and by putting them up standing you potentially expose more surface area to more air. Problem though is how to keep them standing and not getting scratched - I'd set them on those non-slip, non-scratch mats (3M makes some of this, you can find them in some hardware stores like Home Depot or car accessories stores, then use some kind of rubberized objects to help them upright on either side.

Kind of like the NuForce stand below, but not a single piece:

Jan 20, 2015 at 10:41 AM Post #3 of 5
There would be two concerns:

1. Balance. I think that the Asgard/Bifrost chassis (and even the Lyr/Valhalla) should sit fairly firm. Be careful with cabling, but I would think that the base is wide enough to keep the amp upright.

2. Heat. Schiit's "mid-sized" amps generally run pretty hot, especially after being on for some time. You should take care to make sure that there is at least some airflow on the top surface (the "normal top", that is). If you had an Asgard just sitting against something...I doubt that would be good for anyone/anything.

Now as an alternative, look into shelves and/or risers for your desk. This obviously depends on what your desk situation is, but it might be worth looking into.

Jan 20, 2015 at 11:40 AM Post #5 of 5
I'm pretty sure that in one of the vids on youtube, the schitt folks had them oriented vertically without issue with the volume control up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back