Can the iRiver hp120 drive an AKG 501?
Jun 23, 2006 at 2:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Spareribs

Headphoneus Supremus
Along with an amp like the cmoy or PA2v2? The K501 has 120 impedence level. Does the iRiver have good power for an mp3 player?

Jun 23, 2006 at 2:38 PM Post #2 of 5
If you're going to be using the line out of the iriver with an amp then the question is whether or not the amp can drive the K501's, not the player.

Jun 23, 2006 at 2:51 PM Post #3 of 5
Here's the thing.

I just got a used Creative Labs Jukebox 3 and it drives my k501 with my pa2v2 amp. This unit is kinda big and bulky but it has a lot of power for an mp3 player

I have a Sony Hi-MD player and it's also an mp3 player but it does not drive my k501 well with the amp.

I don't want to use my Creative Labs Jukebox 3 as an mp3 player because I bought it so I can use it as a recorder. The sound on this Jukebox 3 is amazing especially using line out. It's too big for an Mp3 player in my opinion but good size as a recorder to record myself at home. (I'm a guitar player)

The iRiver has line out too and I was wondering if it can be comparable to the Creative Labs Jukebox 3 in terms of power. My Sony Hi-Md is weak in power compared to the Jukebox 3 and I don't want to buy another amp.

edit: I am now thinking about getting the iRiver anyway and if I want better power, I'll just go ahead and buy a Hornet amp or perhaps a Supermacro

Any comments are welcome. Thanks.

Jun 23, 2006 at 6:37 PM Post #4 of 5
I have an iRiver h140, with rockbox, as well as the k501.

All the music that I have on the iRiver are CD's ripped and encoded to FLAC, and I would say that with this setup, the answer to the question of the iRiver being able to drive the k501 is that it very much depends on the actual CD that was ripped.

By this I mean that with some CD's the iRiver simply cannot drive the k501 to a satisfactory volume, even with the volume set on max.
With other CD's, max. volume, or even a little less, on the iRiver is sufficient for an acceptable listening level, even though the bass does sound somewhat strained.

I think that with the iRiver/k501 combination you will soon feel the need for more power. Put a SuperMacro between the two, and it is quite another story.

Jun 23, 2006 at 7:15 PM Post #5 of 5
I'd use the line out with an amp. The 501s are difficult to drive, and you're just going to end up with a pretty mediocre output if you try to go ampless. Of Ray's amps, I'd pair it with the SR-71 instead of the Hornet. It plays to the 501's strengths better (and picks up some of its weaknesses better as well), IMHO.

What might even be better, though, is something that can take the LM6172. At least with K701, it really gives a nice rich lower end as well as preserving the openness and air well and adding treble sparkle. The Supermacro and Supermini can both take op-amp rolling, so those might be good choices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back