Can the Grado SR225 be more than a rock can?
Apr 7, 2006 at 5:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

100+ Head-Fier
I was thinking of getting a Grado because they are great for rock, but can they do more than that? I am not planning on using the 'phone for classical or anything like that, but could they be used for like dance, trance, pop, and mellower rock? Or would I be better off getting a MS-1. Or would I have to get a different brand headphone.

Thanks!!

Apr 7, 2006 at 6:00 AM Post #2 of 16
Some of the conversations around here are often about where a phone excels. Less so where it falters. While some generalities are often true such as the Grados are for rock and Senns are for classical, that doesn't the other isn't capable of other genres. There's some rock albums I prefer Senn. Cello sounds best with Grados, etc. The SR225 are fine phones for music requiring speed and impact and has a nice midrange for slow female vocals, etc. I like a lot of jazz and folk with them. They're pretty capable and would likely perform better overall than two $100 phones.

That said there are phones I think are better all arounders. That includes K701 and HD650, but there are others that disagree.

Apr 7, 2006 at 6:13 AM Post #3 of 16
Sometimes people put generalities that are too broad for cans and exaggerate actual differences, which is understandable. I think every quality can I've heard works fine for most music, but there are often genres where it excels.

Apr 7, 2006 at 9:05 AM Post #4 of 16
I think the SR225 can do the genre you mentioned quite well.
They can pretty much handle everything (maybe not classical) thrown at them quite nicely. If your music preference is 50% rock and 50% others, IMO it's a great choice. Never heard the MS1 before.

Apr 7, 2006 at 12:43 PM Post #5 of 16
I have the 225s and I listen to all of the genres you mentioned. They are great. You can put flats or comfies on them also to give them more base if that is what you want. i went and got the comfy pads from Radio Shack. Bought to pairs and coin modded the second to turn them into flats.

Apr 7, 2006 at 1:53 PM Post #6 of 16
You may also want to consider the following for the type of music you want to listen to:

- Alessandro MS1
- Alessandro MS2i
- Beyer dt770
- Beyer dt990
- Senn 590
- Senn 595

Also I would add the HF1's to this list, if you can find them.

All of which I'd prefer to the SR225's, and I'm a former 225 owner.

- augustwest

Apr 7, 2006 at 2:00 PM Post #7 of 16
Compared to any "normal" consumer headphone? The SR225 aces them all in all genre. Heck, the SR60 beats the snot out of the Bose Triport in all genre.

Apr 7, 2006 at 2:21 PM Post #8 of 16
i use my sr225 exclusively for jazz,folk, and classical. but then again, i dislike any music that's "noisy" or bass heavy through headphones - i save this music for my speakers. these cans are quick on their feet and refuse to let the music fall apart. auditioning is the only way to find out what's right for you.

PACE

Apr 7, 2006 at 2:22 PM Post #9 of 16
Grado are much more capable than people give them credit for.

Although they are very good for rock music they can sound good of things like jazz too (for what is considered a bright headphone they are surprisingly easy to listen to, don't take any notice of people who say they are fatiguing. I've recently bought Beyer dt880's which is aparently a neutral headphone yet with a lot of music they sound crap. Recessed mids, a real emphasis on sibilance which imo makes for a fatiguing listen)

Apr 7, 2006 at 10:43 PM Post #10 of 16
Thanks for all the replies!

I was thinking that I could get two can's that compliment each other for $200-$250. So far I was thinking Alessandro MS-1 and either Sennheiser HD555 or HD595. What do you think? Should I do this, or just stick with the SR225?

Apr 8, 2006 at 6:43 AM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2426
Thanks for all the replies!

I was thinking that I could get two can's that compliment each other for $200-$250. So far I was thinking Alessandro MS-1 and either Sennheiser HD555 or HD595. What do you think? Should I do this, or just stick with the SR225?

Personally I would stick with the SR-225 or MS-1 and get something like an HD600/650 or K701 as an all-rounder.

I own both the SR225 and the K701 and right now the K701 is getting all the listening time. But maybe I haven't given the Grado a chance yet.

You can get an HD600 within your budget or K701/HD650 if you stretch your budget just a little.

Apr 8, 2006 at 6:56 AM Post #12 of 16
While I would like to get a HD600, I would then be forced to get a powerful amp to drive them. Which would cost about the same as the 600's. There just out of my price range.

Apr 8, 2006 at 9:19 AM Post #13 of 16
I think any headphone in this price range is more than capable of delivering quality sound on more than one type of music however, there will always be some headphones that excel with certain music and some headphones that sound excel with others. The best solution? Buy them all
biggrin.gif

Apr 8, 2006 at 12:47 PM Post #15 of 16
I was actually surprised with the 225s listening to some U2, Coldplay and John Legend last night. They did alright IMO. Listenable at least.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back