Can the Audio Technica ATH-M50's bass reach the Sony MDR-XB500's bass level if i EQ them?
Aug 28, 2013 at 4:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Mr Kroenig

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, now the question is pretty simple, but for some more detail and information, i have a pretty good deskop amp that can make any headphone sound way better but ofc it cant make any headphones that bassy as the XB500's, ..but anyway.

So, I'm just pretty curious if i EQ the ATH M50 to the best i can, then it can sound like the XB500 bass? What i mean is does the M50 can perform that bassy with eq-ing? Can these guys reach the bass of the Sony MDR-XB500's bass level if i eq them?

I would really appreciate if you can help me, so please let me know that if the M50's bass can be that very bassy with EQ ing as the Xb500's, or no. Thx

Thanks a lot guys, appreciate it!

Aug 29, 2013 at 9:54 AM Post #3 of 11
I haven't heard them in a long time, but I used to own the ATH-M50 and I've heard my friend's XB500. I think there is the potential to come close, but you won't get the same extension, probably a bit less volume, and it will consume the already recessed lower mid-range. Though equalizing the bass that much, I have a feeling it will distort. If you used the bass boost function on an amp such as the Fiio E6 you may come quite close.

Aug 29, 2013 at 11:09 AM Post #4 of 11
Just buy a Beyerdynamic DT770 and call it a day.

Aug 29, 2013 at 12:36 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:
Just buy a Beyerdynamic DT770 and call it a day.

Why everyone cames with the Beyerdynamic DT770? they have no mids especially comparing them to the M50s which also dont have that great mids (but they are very great headphones ofc!) but the Dt770 even worse, anways i know it cuz i listened to both but i own none of them, thats why i ask if the m50 can perform that bassy as the xb500s

Aug 29, 2013 at 6:06 PM Post #6 of 11
If you crank the bass that much on the ATH-M50 chances are the mid-range will be just as recessed as the DT770 but with bass distortion. You would have to do some much equalization that the amount of distortion wouldn't be worth it. You would be better off searching for a different headphone than the M50 if you're looking for that much bass in my opinion. Perhaps trying an older Denon model might be a good choice, I'm not really sure what to recommend since I prefer neutral, flat bass.

Aug 30, 2013 at 5:54 AM Post #7 of 11
Well i choosed the M50's because they sound great without that skullcrashing big bass, BUT sometimes i also very like huge huge bass so then i EQ them, and sometimes i just like the natural sound, and so on, so it depends on mood, thats why i was like the M50's the right choose, so i can EQ them however i like to, because as i heard they can be very bassy if i want to, but also can be ..well anything. But first yet i want to make sure that the M50s can perform that bassy, with EQ-ing.

The question is pretty simple ..

Aug 31, 2013 at 1:17 AM Post #8 of 11
Well the only way to find out is to try it. I don't own one to tell you and even if I did, your idea of recessed mids might be different from mine. I suggest equalizing the other frequencies down when using software eq because it will reduce distortion. Getting an amp with a bass boost might also be a good option. If none of those options work, you could always search for a headphone that has satisfying bass impact without recessing the mid-range that doesn't need equalization... but it might be a long search.

Sep 1, 2013 at 4:31 PM Post #10 of 11
The XB500's worth the price anyways?

The bass has insane impact and goes fairly deep. It was enough bass to give me a headache at moderate listening levels. The mids, of course, were recessed because of this and from what I remember the highs were dim. The mids aren't bad for bass-heavy music, hardstyle, dub step, heavy metal, etc. Coming from the M50s you will probably only like the bass, your M50s best them in every other way. For me, the bass was too much... I prefer flat, deep reaching bass as opposed to great impact.

Sep 2, 2013 at 5:26 PM Post #11 of 11
What would you EQ them with? Try it and let us know how it works out for you. Have you considered the ath-ws99 or pro700MKII's?, maybe even the Shure SRH840?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back