Can the AirPod Pro 2’s be taken seriously?
Mar 1, 2023 at 10:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

trivium911

500+ Head-Fier
I just picked up up the airpod pro 2’s and I’m blown away how good they are. The only gripe is that they don’t work with lossless codecs, though Im long past trying to convince myself I can hear the difference between lossless and lossy (Flac vs AAC 256). I’ve done multiple A-B comparisons and I just can’t reliably tell the difference, moreover It took intense concentration to try to find differences, frankly it was draining and I was not enjoying the music. Since I got them, they are so feature packed and they don’t leave you wanting more in the sound department, that I have not reached for my FLC 8S and Ibasso DX120 since then. Does anyone else take the AirPods seriously?

May 3, 2023 at 9:19 PM Post #2 of 11
I'm also impressed with the sound of these. Initially they sounded flat and bloated but after discovering the semi-hidden options for tuning it, they sound pretty great. Super curious how much I would have to spend on an IEM to get better sound.

May 5, 2023 at 9:25 AM Post #3 of 11
I'm also impressed with the sound of these. Initially they sounded flat and bloated but after discovering the semi-hidden options for tuning it, they sound pretty great. Super curious how much I would have to spend on an IEM to get better sound.

I'd say around 500 around SA6 or maybe U4T U6T.

I use the Onkyo player app and have paid for the DSD upsampling. This puts most low cost builds to shame and may even obsolete them. It also might be the most detailed sounding single dynamic driver I've heard thus far.

The ANC, wireless, Siri, and ability to take calls is just too good to ignore.

Although it was a pain trying to get a chunk of my library in there. (Cough... third party app and iTunes).

Whenever in my idle time I would be flicking through 1000 tracks to put them into respective playlists.

May 5, 2023 at 10:39 PM Post #4 of 11
Glad to see the FLC8S mention. I also love the FLC sound; I have the 8D and did have the 8S.

I have first generation Airpod Pros and I use them a lot. More than my three wired units combined. Primarily used for exercise and bike rides.

So yes, I take Airpod Pros seriously. They sound "right" to me; like the FLC. I view the tuning as fairly Harmon. Which works for me.

Last edited:
May 6, 2023 at 8:54 PM Post #5 of 11
I feel like they’ve gotten more bass heavy with firmware updates. Not something I’m a fan of.

May 6, 2023 at 10:20 PM Post #6 of 11
I feel like they’ve gotten more bass heavy with firmware updates. Not something I’m a fan of.
Have you cleaned the buds? Could be earwax that’s affecting the sound output.

May 9, 2023 at 2:36 AM Post #7 of 11
They are exceptionally good, and if you have an iphone, it's hard to consider anything else currently on sale.

May 9, 2023 at 7:37 AM Post #8 of 11
Have you cleaned the buds? Could be earwax that’s affecting the sound output.
They aren’t dirty. They’ve been kept very clean.

May 10, 2023 at 6:31 PM Post #9 of 11
They aren’t dirty. They’ve been kept very clean.
So to add to this. I felt when I first got my AirPods Pro 2 that they were decently neutral. Now they are definitely not neutral and definitely seem more bass heavy and less clear than they used to be. I remember that at one point I felt like they sounded better than the Truthear Hexa. Now I definitely do not feel that way.

My preferred IEM sound is the ER4SR with a 3dB bass shelf at 125hz, the Timeless AE with a -3dB bass shelf at 225hz, or the Truthear Hexa with no EQ.

I definitely feel like something changed in the frequency response. This can happen with Bluetooth headphones/IEMs since they are heavily DSP’ed. I sent back the Cambridge Audio Melomania Touch a while ago because they also couldn’t just leave the frequency response alone. I don’t have a measurement rig to prove it, but I definitely feel that something changed.

Last edited:
May 11, 2023 at 3:21 AM Post #11 of 11
Yeah, I tried so many iems in the last few months, meteor, monarch mk2, andromeda, U4s etc. The only one that I considered a clear step up was the u12t, the level of detail is night and day.
I thought I would use them in the office and on the go, with some open back at home. I quickly realized however that I prefer the soundstage and physical presence of the bathys at work, and that on the go I prefer APP2 supreme comfort, the noise canceling and the lower cost.

Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back