can the 5.5g ipod (80gb) be purchased anywhere?
May 20, 2008 at 8:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

crappyjones123

1000+ Head-Fier
as the title says.

cost should be reasonable (less than or equal to 250usd). i can only find them new on amazon for 600 bucks which is rather high. anyone know of any places where they can be purchased new for a reasonable cost?

any other players of comparable sq? must be atleast 60 gb. i cant do with anything less. 95% audio. 5% video (if at all) so video is not that big of an issue. but the presence of aftermarket firmware is a plus. i dont think theres anything out like rockbox/ipodlinux for zune and the zune doesnt play flac or wav. most my music is in flac but i dont mind converting it to wav and playing it. which is why i need at least 60gb of space. getting a zune would require encoding music with some lossy codec which i dont want to do. so i would rather get something that natively supports flac/wav or at least has the possibility of upgrading the firmware so it does. iirc theres no such possibility with the zune. kindly correct me if im wrong.

May 20, 2008 at 8:39 PM Post #2 of 6
Zunes don't just support lossy codecs, they also support WMA Lossless.

May 21, 2008 at 8:35 AM Post #5 of 6
The iPod 5.5g can usually be found on the Apple Store periodically in their "refurbished section". I'm pretty sure your local electronics store should have some old stock they'll let go for cheap too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back