can t-amp drive paradigm titans?
May 10, 2005 at 12:02 AM Post #16 of 21
for your application, I would say the t-amp is definately usable, if you are sitting within half a meter you only need 1 watt to get 89db or whatever the efficiency of the speaker is. 89db is very loud, and jazz would work well with the t-amp. I usually listen at 85 db for loud listening, 70-75 for normal listening.

May 10, 2005 at 6:33 AM Post #18 of 21
The T-Amp should be plenty for that environment. You'll get plenty of gain just because your room is fairly small, so 89db could easily become 92db, unless you have a lot of carpeting and curtains and other stuff to dampen the sound. But room dampening is generally a good thing to prevent uneven frequency response as a result of sound reflecting in the room. I had a pair of speakers with 87db drivers and they got plenty loud in a room not much larger than yours. If you're concerned about bass response, consider replacing the big capacitor in the middle of the amp and replacing the volume control pot with an Alps 50k potentiometer so you can bypass the onboard input crap. A 2.2 or 3.3uf film cap and a 22k resistor in series for each input really fills out the bass. I beleive with a proper input, the frequency response is something ridiculous, like only -0.5db by the time it hits 0Hz. It makes you wonder why Sonic Impact butchered the inputs. Still, you can hit 40Hz well enough in stock form so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

May 10, 2005 at 6:50 PM Post #20 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by choweee
Okay, so one last question. My t-amp is coming in the mail, but I don't have a power supply for it. What should the specs be (e.g., 12V 1000mA, 12V 1500 mA, etc.)?

There are tons of threads about this, do a search.

It seems best results are achieved with 13.8V ~3A linear regulated supplies.

Cheaping out on the PSU will mean even less power for your speakers.

May 11, 2005 at 4:14 AM Post #21 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by JWFokker
The T-Amp should be plenty for that environment. You'll get plenty of gain just because your room is fairly small, so 89db could easily become 92db, unless you have a lot of carpeting and curtains and other stuff to dampen the sound. But room dampening is generally a good thing to prevent uneven frequency response as a result of sound reflecting in the room. I had a pair of speakers with 87db drivers and they got plenty loud in a room not much larger than yours. If you're concerned about bass response, consider replacing the big capacitor in the middle of the amp and replacing the volume control pot with an Alps 50k potentiometer so you can bypass the onboard input crap. A 2.2 or 3.3uf film cap and a 22k resistor in series for each input really fills out the bass. I beleive with a proper input, the frequency response is something ridiculous, like only -0.5db by the time it hits 0Hz. It makes you wonder why Sonic Impact butchered the inputs. Still, you can hit 40Hz well enough in stock form so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

have you performed these mods? I just finished replacing the center cap with a 470uf cap today. Didn't notice very much change, maybe a tiny bit more impact. I'm going to be doing the input mod soon. What kind of cap did you use? The bass rolloff is very noticable in my system, in mine it sounds like it starts at 80hz downwards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back