Can spend up to $175
Jul 25, 2008 at 12:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

mr56k

500+ Head-Fier
So right now I'm using some Sennheiser wireless headphones with my desktop computer for movie watching and some music. I really like the freedom of no wires but wonder if I'm giving up a lot by doing so. I mean I could drape a 20' eighth inch extension cord across the room
biggrin.gif
. With the budget mentioned above what would be a good setup ? I had the DT770's at one point and really enjoyed those but ended up moving to some speakers when I changed my room. Now it looks like I'm going back to headphones so I'm looking for some input. Thanks for any input!

Jul 25, 2008 at 1:14 AM Post #2 of 8
Do you plan on building a setup with an amplifier and external DAC? Also do you prefer to have closed-back headphones (that block out external noise) or are open headphones alright?

I would personally buy the Sennheiser HD580 and save the rest of your money to buy an external DAC and amplifier.

Jul 25, 2008 at 1:28 AM Post #3 of 8
Prefer to run right out of my computer "no ampt etc". I would prefer closed headphones.

Jul 25, 2008 at 1:41 AM Post #4 of 8
Well, they don't have the bass of the DT770, but the Sennheiser HD280 might be worth a look -- pretty cheap ($80 new if you wait for a good deal), not bad sound for the price, and very good isolation. And they don't really benefit from an amp, so you don't have to worry about that.

If you enjoyed the DT770, though, why not go back to a pair of those? A lot of people will tell you that you need an amp for them, but if you enjoyed them unamped, that's what matters.

Jul 25, 2008 at 1:43 AM Post #5 of 8
Hmm. Anyone think the DT770's are worth the $70 price difference? I can get the 280's for $80 plus shipping. CHeapest I can find the DT770 is $159.

Jul 25, 2008 at 1:58 AM Post #6 of 8
Well I just did a little looking and it seems there is a TON of issues with the HD280 headband cracking. Is this still a problem on the current revision? If so I won't be getting those.

Jul 25, 2008 at 2:42 AM Post #7 of 8
I have six or seven friends IRL who also have the HD280 (as do I), and none of us have had issues with the headband. We've all bought the headphones in the last 2-3 years, FWIW.

I don't know if it's just a previous revision which had the issues or what, but most of us are pretty hard on the things.

That said, I think the DT770 are worth the price difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back