Can soundtage be adjusted? With eq?
Jan 4, 2021 at 6:04 PM Post #2 of 7
Normally I'd say soundstage or externalization is extremely complex and would require DSP.

But since you want to bring FORWARD, yeah absolutely. Play around with your EQ. Pay attention to the 10kHz band. Your 'sound stage' will collapse nicely.

Jan 4, 2021 at 7:04 PM Post #4 of 7
Sweet, thanks! Find any other headphone driver’s that billow in the wind?

only one! the Allen Ribbon Headphone. It's Chinese and I can't find their site or much more info on them. I gave up.

I'm content with the Harman Target EQ'ed Utopia. I seriously stopped looking for other headphones. I'm afraid I'll lose this sound... I keep wondering if the HE1000se or Susvara, or hell any other TOTL can have perfect dynamics like the Utopia, but for now I am in no rush to try to improve on this. I'll wait 'til CanJam to confirm that my Utopias are the best. I keep wondering if the Clear or Elear would be just as good at much lower cost... but I'm tired of buying and selling crap to test, and I'd end up wanting the Utopias anyway. I keep wondering if I should try improving on the EQ by ear, but I'm so tired...

I've called 'endgame' before, but the Utopias have convinced me that drivers that billow in the wind are not to be ignored, and I can't find another headphone design that has as much compliant excursion, so i just assume no other headphone can sound this way.

Jan 5, 2021 at 4:39 AM Post #6 of 7
I'd rephrase that to, "can EQ affect soundstage?" Then that's a "depends, but possible." Can it totally alter soundstage? No.

I basically want to bring vocals forward more on the hifiman sundara, is this possible with any mods?

What EQ program do you have? If you're on a Windows machine using Equalizer APO put these in:

1600hz : +4dB
2500hz : +4dB
4000hz : +1dB
10000hz : -4dB

Jan 5, 2021 at 7:44 AM Post #7 of 7
I'd rephrase that to, "can EQ affect soundstage?" Then that's a "depends, but possible." Can it totally alter soundstage? No.

What EQ program do you have? If you're on a Windows machine using Equalizer APO put these in:

1600hz : +4dB
2500hz : +4dB
4000hz : +1dB
10000hz : -4dB
OP wants to bring vocals closer and your recommendation is to lower the 10kHz band?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back