Can sound quality diminish?
Feb 28, 2020 at 11:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Jacobguy

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone I've been using my Shure SE215's for about a year and I've been through 2 aftermarket cables after my cat chewed through them and they've been through the wash a few times. Will any of this and daily use cause sound quality to diminish? I feel like it has because my Kinera Seed Yin seem to even sound better than then now. Thanks.

Feb 29, 2020 at 2:06 AM Post #2 of 5
You've put them through the washing machine? Yeah. I'm surprised they still work at all knowing that....

It's always pretty random in my experience just with time and frequent use though, I have some gear that sounds like garbage after a year, and some that sounds the same as it did 15 years ago after using it almost every day. Just depends on the build, type and quality.... But none of these that I know of are in any way made to take that kind of abuse.... I think you're lucky they make sound at all.

Feb 29, 2020 at 6:18 AM Post #3 of 5
You've put them through the washing machine? Yeah. I'm surprised they still work at all knowing that....

It's always pretty random in my experience just with time and frequent use though, I have some gear that sounds like garbage after a year, and some that sounds the same as it did 15 years ago after using it almost every day. Just depends on the build, type and quality.... But none of these that I know of are in any way made to take that kind of abuse.... I think you're lucky they make sound at all.

My sennheiser momentum in ear got in the wash machine at least 20 times in 5 years they still work

Mar 1, 2020 at 5:10 PM Post #4 of 5
Unless you get a new pair to compare them side by side there's no way you remember how they sounded a year ago. Hell, I wouldn't trust my memory from one day over the other. That's why I don't trust burn-in talk either, I had quite a few new IEMs to compare them with old versions of so called IEMs that change with burn in and for the life of me can't tell the difference.

I took my N3AP out after sitting in a drawer for many months, that's an IEM I wrote about a year ago to be overly bassy and too thick, in the meantime I've listened to warm IEMs and now I find it lacking in warmth. Sounds like a totally diffrent IEM and not by a small margin. I think sound preference change.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back