Can someone recommend me a good/cheap DAC?
Apr 28, 2011 at 3:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Ace o' Spades

500+ Head-Fier
Hey everyone,

I'm looking to improve the audio out of my computer since the stock line out is absolute garbage.

I have a fairly nice PIMETA amp, so all I am really looking for is a good, clean line out for my computer. My budget is around $50.

Also, I was thinking of building a switchbox, so that I could have a single line out from the computer, but be able to switch between my speakers and my PIMETA without having to unplug anything. What do you guys think about this setup? Will it get me significantly better sound than the crappy line out that my computer already has?

Apr 28, 2011 at 4:29 PM Post #3 of 9
I have an Entech number cruncher 203.2 that sounds pretty nice for what it is...wayyy better than my computer line out....I think these can be had used on ebay for around ~ $50. It's not usb though, if you need it to be.

There are also quite a few cheep chinese dacs on ebay, I haven't used any of these...but they look decent for the price... below are links to 2 of many......

http://cgi.ebay.com/HI-FI-DIR9001-4X-TDA1543-parallel-connection-NOS-DAC-/190513558682?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c5b7e349a#ht_6367wt_1139

or for a bit more, this

http://cgi.ebay.com/AUNE-Hifi-Mini-USB-SPDIF-DAC-Sound-Audio-Card-PCM2707-/260725525642?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cb473cc8a#ht_7977wt_1139

whatever you get will probably be a reasonable improvement over integrated computer audio. =]

Apr 29, 2011 at 4:44 AM Post #8 of 9
Well for a similar price I'm between the Grub and Behringer. Leaning towards the Grub though so I can get some SMD soldering under my belt and make it so I have a DAC with a switch between the PIMETA and speakers all in one unit. It might end up being a bit more expensive but I think I can live with that.

Jul 13, 2011 at 6:43 PM Post #9 of 9
Sorry for the bump but I have an update for this thread. I ended up springing for the Fiio e7 and got it yesterday. So far very impressed, the difference is like night and day compared to my sound card. I even thought the iPod's headphone out was pretty decent until I plugged in the e7, it just sounds so much more airy and clear. Not a huge fan of the bass boost so far but the TF10s I am using are already pretty bassy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back