Can someone recommend an iPad 1/8" headphone dongle?
Aug 14, 2023 at 2:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

echoleaf

New Head-Fier
I've heard that headphone dongles can be really sketchy and I don't want to waste time trying multiple cheapo dongles out. I just need something as the latency with my earbuds is too much for noodling with a synth.

Aug 14, 2023 at 9:20 PM Post #2 of 8
depends on the headphones I guess but a lot of people find the apple dongle totally adequate

Aug 15, 2023 at 11:20 AM Post #3 of 8
That would be my first thought but I remember how awful the D/A converter on clickwheel iPods used to be. A simpler mp3 player from a different brand had WAY better sound. Of course this was 20-ish years ago so things may have changed.

One of my kids also had a problem with a cheapo one but a friend gave them one that works but they have no idea of brand or anything.

Aug 15, 2023 at 1:11 PM Post #4 of 8
Just about every audiophile brand has their own dongles at this point - plenty of good options- Here's a couple threads which might help:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-tail-of-music-–-impression-of-various-type-c-adapters-apple-type-c-and-dd-tc35b-added-july-1st-2020.927067/
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/usb-c-to-3-5mm-adapters-dac-lets-find-the-best.908839/

Also if you enjoy hot takes here's an entertaining soliloquy on the apple dongle youtube.com/watch?v=a3moaaOpYZM

One thing I find annoying about the higher end models is that they are generally designed for balanced output with the single end usually having lower specs (and sometimes lower sound quality, but not necessarily), so if someone's looking just for something basic they end up paying for specs/features they don't need to.

Not an apple user myself so I can't recommend anything in particular. You might also consider bluetooth dongles some of which function over usb and can also come with apps which allow you to customize audio processing on the dongle itself (witllh EQ, DAC Filters that sort of thing).

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2023 at 1:34 PM Post #5 of 8
I’ve recently got an iPad pro for work and it has no headphone socket, so i bought the Apple USB C to 3.5mm dongle. Only £9 and it sounds great.

I’m sure there are better dongles available, but the Apple one is a pretty good place to start.

Aug 15, 2023 at 2:04 PM Post #6 of 8
Much appreciated, I will read them.
You might also consider bluetooth dongles some of which function over usb and can also come with apps which allow you to customize audio processing on the dongle itself (witllh EQ, DAC Filters that sort of thing).
I'm looking for a dongle because I want to avoid latency when messing with synths on the iPad. Otherwise I have buds that I'm happy with, for everything except latency.

I’ve recently got an iPad pro for work and it has no headphone socket, so i bought the Apple USB C to 3.5mm dongle. Only £9 and it sounds great.
Do you feel it changes the sound of your phones at all?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back