Can someone recommend a soundcard <100 for games and music?
Nov 29, 2004 at 8:31 PM Post #2 of 29
emu 0404, and i doubt anyone will disagree

games? well, hopefully it will work. otherwise, i believe you could get a cheap game card and run two cards

Nov 29, 2004 at 9:23 PM Post #3 of 29
The 0404 should work with games, but you won't get EAX, 5.1 DD, and DTS support unless you buy a card that supports those features (like an Audigy). Unfortunately, you can't have it both ways if you're using just one card. The Audigy should be just fine for music if you don't need audiophile-level sound quality, though.

Nov 29, 2004 at 10:19 PM Post #4 of 29
You can get an Audigy 2 value for $50 now. Buy that and an AV-710

That way you get great sound quality for music and top notch gaming.

Nov 30, 2004 at 12:01 AM Post #6 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by dwin902
The 0404 should work with games, but you won't get EAX, 5.1 DD, and DTS support unless you buy a card that supports those features (like an Audigy). Unfortunately, you can't have it both ways if you're using just one card. The Audigy should be just fine for music if you don't need audiophile-level sound quality, though.

Who needs 5.1 anyways? If you're a hardcore gamer, headphones is the way to go!

Nov 30, 2004 at 1:11 AM Post #7 of 29
Feanor,
No doubt you've had great experiences with your cans (I've got HD 580's myself), but playing Doom 3 or Half Life 2 in 5.1 adds a much bigger layer of believability to your environment.

My recommendation for sound card: Audigy 2 ZS at around $80.

Speakers: Logitech Z-680 at $200

Nov 30, 2004 at 2:31 AM Post #8 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Feanor
Who needs 5.1 anyways? If you're a hardcore gamer, headphones is the way to go!

Yeah, but I still enjoy watching DVDs with hardware audio decoding, even though the experience is essentially stereo. WinDVD 6 has a faux surround mode that actually sounds quite good, though.

Nov 30, 2004 at 10:01 AM Post #9 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Submarinesailor
Feanor,
No doubt you've had great experiences with your cans (I've got HD 580's myself), but playing Doom 3 or Half Life 2 in 5.1 adds a much bigger layer of believability to your environment.

Oh, it might make it more believable, but you'll get fragged nonetheless.
biggrin.gif

[actually, its only my envy speaking. I dont have 5.1 speakers.]

Nov 30, 2004 at 10:41 AM Post #10 of 29
I'd have to disagree with that... the hardcore "pro gamers" all use headphones, because (according to them) they're simply better for games than 5.1 speakers are. Each to their own, of course, just saying that a surround setup isn't necessarily better or more believable than good headphones. Remember, what works for you isn't always what works for others. (note: I did actually have a decent speaker setup at one time, but I sold it, because I never used it. You can probably guess why.)

My recommendation would be a cheap Audigy 2 and an AV-710: use the A2 for games and the AV-710 for music.

Dec 1, 2004 at 8:18 AM Post #12 of 29
Well, if you do follow Illah's advice, be sure to get an Audigy 2 ZS, not a regular Audigy 2. The regular/value versions are supposedly a ways behind the ZS in terms of sound quality. (The specs seem to confirm this, but then I don't trust Creative's sound card specifications that much.)

Dec 1, 2004 at 2:45 PM Post #13 of 29
I'm in the same boat as you my friend, and I've decided to get the ZS and the AV710.

I'm hoping to take advantages of the strengths of each card. Using the ZS for gaming and default windows playback, and the 710 for music and probably movies.
biggrin.gif

Dec 1, 2004 at 8:37 PM Post #14 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Illah
Just get an Audigy 2, don't bother with dual cards. The difference between that and an AV710 is probably minimal at best. Audigys aren't the greatest card known to man, but they're really not that bad at all.

--Illah

I second this. If you don't have the $$ to buy a av710 for music and anther for gaming, just get an A2.

Dec 1, 2004 at 8:40 PM Post #15 of 29
I am quite content with the AV-710 for gaming, but I generally just use my headphones for that too, the A900s are great for it....

Scott

Users who are viewing this thread

Back