Can someone post a quick comparison between the Philips DVD963SA and the Sony DVP-NS5
Sep 14, 2003 at 4:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

arnett

Consigliere
I’m desperately in need of a new source. I’m currently using a Sony DVP-NC650V DVD/SACD player. The 650V is the 5-disc version of the 500V. The overall sound of this unit with my SinglePower MPX3 is harsh and mechanical sounding. I think the MPX3 is just too revealing to use with the cheap Sony. I finally hooked up my brother’s 1992 tubed Carver 490t CDP today and it blew the Sony out of the water. The Carver, however, has some major problems like:

1. a disc tray that doesn’t want to close, and
2. sound seems to speed up and slow down a bit. It’s like the clock is off or the disc doesn’t spin at a constant speed, and
3. the Carver doesn’t do SACD, and
4. the Carver isn’t mine.
frown.gif

I listened to the Philips 963SA at the Detroit meet and was impressed. I didn’t get a chance to listen to the redbook playback but the SACD section sounded great.

I’ve done a search and apparently nobody has directly compared the 963SA with the 500V. So, could someone convince me to buy the 963SA? I understand that the video quality would be a major improvement so I’m really just interested in the sonic improvements.

Also, I have found a refurbished 963SA for an amazing price on-line. Any thoughts on buying refurbished from an apparent non-authorized dealer.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 14, 2003 at 1:15 PM Post #2 of 7
arnett,

You should have said something at the meet. I brought both of those sources and they sat on a table over by Jude's desk unused for the entire meet.

I have never directly compared them as they are always in different parts of the house. I do remember Tuberoller reviewing both of them. He may have compared the Sony to the Phillips in his review. You may want to contact him directly. He has been very busy lately so do not be offended if he does not respond immediately.

I have the Phillips downstairs primarily for video. If you cannot get any more information I will be glad to bring it upstairs and listen to the two of them.

Sep 14, 2003 at 2:18 PM Post #4 of 7
John,

Thanks for the response. I didn’t realize how bad the Sony is until last night. Perhaps I have a defective unit or something. Fred posted a review of the 650V sometime ago and stated that the 650V is more harsh sounding than the 500V. I think the 650V was OK with the moretto but the MPX3 is just too revealing.

All I know is that the Carver is sooo much smoother.

Quote:

I have the Phillips downstairs primarily for video. If you cannot get any more information I will be glad to bring it upstairs and listen to the two of them.

i would really appreciate it. i'm not looking for a really detailed comparison or anything. for me, even a refurbished 963 is a lot of money!
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 14, 2003 at 2:23 PM Post #5 of 7
I will try and get it today. I am in the middle of doing an amp review so I will need to change things around a bit.

Oct 1, 2003 at 2:18 PM Post #6 of 7
i took delivery of a Philips DVD963SA yesterday. i got a hell of a deal on eBay for a new unit.

so far so good. the audio quality is great. SACDs sound fantastic and upsampling on redbook is unbelievable.

no question that the 963 is a vast improvement over the Sony 500V/650V.

but i don't know about the video. the image is very sharp but i'm seeing some artifacts through the interlaced component output (i don't see any artifacts through the s-video output). The image looks kind of pixelated, only much more subtle. it looks like little blocks running across the screen. most of the time i can’t see these blocks – but sometimes they are noticeable. is this normal for this player?

i'd use the s-video output but it looks like crap compared to component through my TV.

Oct 2, 2003 at 1:23 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by arnett
i
no question that the 963 is a vast improvement over the Sony 500V/650V.

I have the 963, had the 500, and agree completely--the Philips is a major improvement. I also use it with the MPX3, BTW.

Good choice.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back