Can someone point out a link to how to make a DIY mini-mini?
Mar 29, 2004 at 5:05 AM Post #4 of 10
On this note, I'm planning on making 2 mini-mini's, and a mini-RCA. A .5m mini-mini for portable use, a 2m mini-mini for my computer, and about a 1m mini-RCA for hooking into the DVD player. I'm going to order some Canare Star Quad from Markertek, so if anyone else is wanting some, you can save on shipping
biggrin.gif
Also getting Switchcraft right angle and straight minis, and then the HGA Rhodium RCAs.

My only question is, where do you get Techflex? It looks so much scwheeter than any heat shrink I've ever seen. And will a propane torch suffice for it, if it's hit quick enough so's not to burn? (I've had plenty of experience with softening things with propane)

(-:Stephonovich:)

Mar 29, 2004 at 5:38 AM Post #5 of 10
Parts express has some of the chrome techflex which looks awesome. They also carry all of the usual colors. You could probably just shrink the heatshrink with your soldering iron.

Good luck and have fun!

JV.

Mar 29, 2004 at 5:51 AM Post #6 of 10
When I made my 1' mini-RCA, I got all my parts from www.pacrad.com -- a Switchcraft mini, Canare F10 RCAs, Canare Star Quad, a couple feet of heat shrink, and blue techflex. No minimum order, no handling fees, shipping wasn't too bad -- my total was under $20.

I've read that techflex cuts easily with a hot knife. I'm sure it does, but I just used the scissors on my leatherman. One thing to note is that it won't hold stuff together like heatshrink will -- it'll protect your cable from getting scratched and look real nice, and the chrome type might shield the cable a bit, but you'll still want to use some heatshrink for stability.

Mar 29, 2004 at 5:59 AM Post #8 of 10
If I could consolidate the order, that'd be nice. <$20 sounds nice also, since I'm on a fairly limited budget. I'll look into it.

Oh, and thanks for the info about TechFlex. I thought it was like heatshrink; apparently not.

(-:Stephonovich:)

Mar 29, 2004 at 8:41 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by Stephonovich
IOh, and thanks for the info about TechFlex. I thought it was like heatshrink; apparently not.

Yeah, TechFlex is just an expandable polyethylene terepthalate mesh. It doesn't shrink and no heat is required. Rather it stretches to fit over your cables/wires. It has a similar stretching action as pantyhose, for instance.

By the way, PacRad is the way to go. In the past, I've bought most of my supplies there. As Megaptera mentioned, they have no minimum order and no handling fees. Markertek has slightly lower prices in some cases, but they have a minimum order and they assess a handling fee ($4.95) on every order. On a small order, the handling fee can really jack up the overall cost.

D.

Mar 30, 2004 at 9:51 AM Post #10 of 10

Users who are viewing this thread

Back