Can someone please help me choose a mp3/mp4 player
Oct 28, 2009 at 7:23 AM Post #18 of 25
eventualy, you will have to choose,
the I9 is coming out soon, and the I7 is still a great player, the clip and he fuze are great but the clip+ basicly makes the fuze obsolete, the sonys are very nice and bring a decent pair of headphones with them, well some of the sonys,

ipods, i dislike the, the meh sound quality, propietary plugs (yea, i know, sony has them too), the chain and ball known as itunes,

and the zune... microsoft is just mimicing apple, and doing so with the same faults, proprietary connector, format and database lock in, stuff you can only get away with if you have a large chunk of the market, like apple, if you dont, it just makes your players less competitive,

if you want a gadget, get a ipod,
if you want something cheap but that does the job, get a sansa clip/fuze
if you want to listen to music, get a cowon,

Oct 28, 2009 at 8:30 AM Post #19 of 25
The general consensus *currently* on this particular forum seems to be:

HiFiMan > Amp3/Sony X > iPod Touch 3G/iPhone 3GS > iPod Classic 160

Depending on your own preference, Sansa and Cowon players might be before the Touch or after the Classic. I have seen posts where supporters of the Amp3 claim that it is better than any DAP, but I havent had the pleasure of hearing it - all I know is that the X has a superb amp, but at considerable cost.

My own experience, with lossless files from decent mid-range headphones:

Sony X > Classic Line-0ut into amp/Sony NWZ-738F w/phones > Cowon IA7 > Classic HP out into phones

Inevitably, many would place the Cowon higher, or the Clip+ at the top of both trees, or whatever - only your ears will tell you where you place them. If you dont want to get carried away with LODs/amps and you want support for lossless out of the box, the Cowon is an excellent choice.

Oct 29, 2009 at 11:38 AM Post #20 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by estreeter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The general consensus *currently* on this particular forum seems to be:

HiFiMan > Amp3/Sony X > iPod Touch 3G/iPhone 3GS > iPod Classic 160

Depending on your own preference, Sansa and Cowon players might be before the Touch or after the Classic. I have seen posts where supporters of the Amp3 claim that it is better than any DAP, but I havent had the pleasure of hearing it - all I know is that the X has a superb amp, but at considerable cost.

My own experience, with lossless files from decent mid-range headphones:

Sony X > Classic Line-0ut into amp/Sony NWZ-738F w/phones > Cowon IA7 > Classic HP out into phones

Inevitably, many would place the Cowon higher, or the Clip+ at the top of both trees, or whatever - only your ears will tell you where you place them. If you dont want to get carried away with LODs/amps and you want support for lossless out of the box, the Cowon is an excellent choice.

Sorry, a bit confused, by Classic Line-0ut into amp do you mean an iMOD? Thought iMOD's w/ a good amp were better then the Sony X.

Oct 29, 2009 at 11:52 AM Post #21 of 25
No I have a Belkin line-out cable that takes the analog signal from the line-out on my Classic into the line-in on the front of my CA integrated amp. This seems to confuse a lot of Head-Fiers, and I'm not entirely sure why that is ...

Nov 1, 2009 at 12:32 PM Post #22 of 25
Well, most people mod their classics to use line out, so thats what I was expecting, also I'm new here.

Forgiveme for my ignorance but I want to make sure I understood: I can buy a new (or used) Ipod classic, hook it up a decent LOD and amp, and without modding have something that sounds not too bad? Modding would just improve the quality of the line out right?

Thx for the reply.

Nov 1, 2009 at 6:08 PM Post #23 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Mono /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No clip+ please, it is not as good as people claim it to be, very artificial sound

Your ears must be artificial if that's what you honestly think then.

Nov 2, 2009 at 2:41 AM Post #24 of 25
Cowon D2 is my second favorite player. HiFiMAN is my #1. The D2 can sound artificial if you play with the eq and effects too much, but most of the time it sounds just great.

Big enough amp to drive moderate cans and a nice long battery life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back