Can someone PLEASE give me some suggestions on my Apogee duet 2?
May 22, 2011 at 1:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

tupac0306

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey guys.

I am really a beginner as a audiophile. Just got my apogee duet 2 yesterday. They worked amazingly on my recording. If I am not wrong it can also be used as a DAC right? I only use MacPro or iphone for listening to music (flac or 320 kbps). I have a Denon adh5000 and a ultrasone edition 8. At the moment I am just using the Nuforce HDP.  Since I got this duet 2, so I thought I can pair it up with a proper hp amp (I can right?). The built - in hp amp in duet works really well on my denon 5000 (because it's a better impedance fit?).But edition 8 gives me a lil bit brighter sound.  I believe duet 2 is sort of same as original duet. So anyone who used duet 1 can also answer my questions .So here are my questions.

1. Is it really necessary to get a proper amp to pair up with duet? Will it make big difference?

2. If it is necessary.  I wish to generate some more warm sound to my edition 8, so what suggestions you can give me on amp to bring out the best of my hps? (or just can pair up really well with duet? I say under $1000)

3. Sorry I have to ask this specific one since I have never had a full size amp before (So I am stupid here^^). So how can I connect a amp to my duet? (I assume through the breakout cable of the duet?) And what kind of cables do I need? (Since I found almost all the amps on the market only come with a power supply)

Thank you very much for the help in advance
regards
Jason

May 22, 2011 at 5:16 PM Post #2 of 6
anyone? 
frown.gif
 at least that third question is easy..

May 22, 2011 at 6:17 PM Post #3 of 6
The Duet 2 has balanced 1/4" TRS line-out jacks from the breakout cable. This is a new feature that wasn't available in the Duet v1. You will need a pair of cables to connect the Duet to an amp, but the actual type of cables needed depends on what amp you plan to use.

A typical balanced amp has two 3-pin XLR inputs. So you would need a pair of TRS to XLR cables for that.

Some balanced amps have two TRS inputs. So a pair of TRS to TRS cables will work for those.

Most amps, such as your Nuforce HDP, are not balanced but single ended. They typically have two RCA inputs. You might be able to use a pair of 1/4" TS to RCA cables (note that this is mono TS and not stereo TRS). Best to double check with Apogee about this one first because this method basically converts the balanced output to single-ended by shorting the negative phase directly to ground. Some DACs may not take well to that.

May 22, 2011 at 6:22 PM Post #4 of 6
Thank you very much man.That was a very detailed and understandable demonstration!

Quote:
The Duet 2 has balanced 1/4" TRS line-out jacks from the breakout cable. This is a new feature that wasn't available in the Duet v1. You will need a pair of cables to connect the Duet to an amp, but the actual type of cables needed depends on what amp you plan to use.

A typical balanced amp has two 3-pin XLR inputs. So you would need a pair of TRS to XLR cables for that.

Some balanced amps have two TRS inputs. So a pair of TRS to TRS cables will work for those.

Most amps, such as your Nuforce HDP, are not balanced but single ended. They typically have two RCA inputs. You might be able to use a pair of 1/4" TS to RCA cables (note that this is mono TS and not stereo TRS). Best to double check with Apogee about this one first because this method basically converts the balanced output to single-ended by shorting the negative phase directly to ground. Some DACs may not take well to that.

Dec 7, 2012 at 11:32 AM Post #5 of 6
Thank you so much tupac0306. I also have a duet 2. I am thinking to hook it up with PreSonus HP4 and wasn't sure if I needed TSR speaker cable or TS cables. I thought all TSR cable are stereo, but I did read some poeple say that TSR can be used as mono for balanced ports, is this true?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back