Can someone honestly explain to me why its considered a no-no to EQ?
Mar 10, 2009 at 7:57 AM Post #151 of 204
Quote:

Originally Posted by EYEdROP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To my ears, EQ makes the instruments true voicing and sound vanish, and the "there" is lost. Its like it messes with the harmonics and overtones of frequencies or something, I cant put my finger on it. Not only that, details get lost. When you boost or cut anything, your sacrificing something, somewhere, for something else.

Dont get me wrong, EQ has its purpose and can be used to your advantage when dealing with room acoustics. Headphones are different because the earcups are optimized for the drivers. All the EQ work is already done for you, and its up to you to drive them how you want because each source and amp sounds different and unique, like every headphone. Besides, some headphones require amps to properly drive. So what other choice do you have? Everything is colored in some way and you just gotta pick out what you wanna hear. Then if your not satisfied, try something different. The purpose of an EQ is to compensate for something. In the Audiophile world, you dont want to compensate for anything. If you do, you lose detail.

Bravo ll

Mar 10, 2009 at 8:13 AM Post #152 of 204
Quote:

To my ears, EQ makes the instruments true voicing and sound vanish, and the "there" is lost. Its like it messes with the harmonics and overtones of frequencies or something, I cant put my finger on it. Not only that, details get lost. When you boost or cut anything, your sacrificing something, somewhere, for something else.

Dont get me wrong, EQ has its purpose and can be used to your advantage when dealing with room acoustics. Headphones are different because the earcups are optimized for the drivers. All the EQ work is already done for you, and its up to you to drive them how you want because each source and amp sounds different and unique, like every headphone. Besides, some headphones require amps to properly drive. So what other choice do you have? Everything is colored in some way and you just gotta pick out what you wanna hear. Then if your not satisfied, try something different. The purpose of an EQ is to compensate for something. In the Audiophile world, you dont want to compensate for anything. If you do, you lose detail.

This is like taking an acoustic jazz group, cranking the bass and saying "whered the articulation go?". You need to know how to compensate

Mar 10, 2009 at 9:07 AM Post #153 of 204
Headphones are just speakers on a smaller scale . I do not see any point why you should not EQ it . Each HP and amp got it's own sound , and they pronounce some frequency harder then others ( bumps in the diagram ) . These might be very small but they are there . You can put these bumps out completely if you want to , giving you the flattest of flattest frequency responce possible . The only reason why there is detail lost is because you put something extra in the road from source to speaker . that is why they got something like a direct line button , less circuits in the way so more of the info get's through . However this effect is very very very small . Some of you guys need just to listen to the music instead of going to audiophile heaven . just try to listen to music and try to enjoy it without thinking , what is the source and what cable is there in the middle .
Same like it the thread about how much money for a set before the differences get very small ... throw in a 200 to 250 $ or euro mark ( let's say a AKG K701/Senn HD 650/Grado SR325/Beyer DT880 ) to get something better you need to spend a ****load more for very minor upgrades . Look at the tested reviews ... they need to listen over and over again before they can say... yes this one has a bit better bassresponse or a bit wider soundstage . If you cannot hear it from 5 min listening there is no point spending 100$ more .

Mar 10, 2009 at 6:05 PM Post #154 of 204
Quote:

Originally Posted by m0ofassa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is like taking an acoustic jazz group, cranking the bass and saying "whered the articulation go?". You need to know how to compensate

Like I said, all the compensations and equalization is done for you by the producer already. The reason why studios use flat sounding monitors is so that the mix will sound good on a wide range of different setups from laptop speakers to car stereos to high fidelity systems. There is a reason why flat EQ is the standard default setting for all stereos.

Mar 10, 2009 at 8:02 PM Post #155 of 204
Quote:

Like I said, all the compensations and equalization is done for you by the producer already. The reason why studios use flat sounding monitors is so that the mix will sound good on a wide range of different setups from laptop speakers to car stereos to high fidelity systems. There is a reason why flat EQ is the standard default setting for all stereos.

Your argument lacks merit as it only "holds water" if all audio reproduction systems gave a flat response.

Mar 10, 2009 at 8:52 PM Post #156 of 204
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Strangelove /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your argument lacks merit as it only "holds water" if all audio reproduction systems gave a flat response.

A pro audio reproduction systems...the audio/stereo companies try they best to give a transparent and flat response...
wink.gif

LOL...maybe this why they cost just a little bit more than the ipod or any boombox.

BTW...car stereo, same same.
beerchug.gif

Mar 10, 2009 at 8:55 PM Post #157 of 204
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A pro audio reproduction systems...
wink.gif

and pro acoustic treated room
wink.gif

With exact same dimensions of course, otherwise soundstage would be different
wink.gif

Mar 10, 2009 at 8:57 PM Post #158 of 204
...what? We are not talking about a mastering studio here...

Mar 10, 2009 at 9:12 PM Post #160 of 204
If there would be some kind of standard and some decent QA for studios many problems hifi enthusiast face would be greatly reduced. But in the mastering studio there are people with different opinnions and the people pushing them to non ideal recordings. If I want to alleviate the mistakes they made in the studio or the mistakes headphone manufactorer made I think that should not be any worse choice than other hifi enthusiasts choices.

Mar 10, 2009 at 11:21 PM Post #163 of 204
This post isn't really going to add to this thread, but I have decided to go with the WooAudio6 and no hardware equalizer. The Gilmore Lite is not right for what I want (warmth, musicality), I also want an amp good enough to be my last (for at least several years; the Gilmore Lite is too low-end for that, I'd think), and I don't think that I am actually willing to mess with or know enough to properly use a 31-band EQ (plus I don't like doing that on a purely psychological level).

So, forget my earlier "amp plus dedicated hardware EQ is the way to go," unless you feel like you know what you're doing and are willing to take the time required to do so.

Mar 12, 2009 at 1:22 AM Post #164 of 204
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rex81 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do what sounds right. I EQ with Winamp on my computer, and *gasp* Motorola's EQ on my cell phone. It sounds good, doesn't distort and makes the music sound better to my ears. Sue me.

I do Samsung's EQ on my cell phone.
icon10.gif

Please don't burn me at the stake!
tongue.gif

Mar 12, 2009 at 5:30 AM Post #165 of 204
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Strangelove /img/forum/go_quote.gif

But your not getting the fact that all systems are colored differently in their unique ways. Thats why flat is the industry standard because its not in favor of one coloration or one type of stereo. The music producer knows there are so many different sound systems out there that people will be listening to the recording on. The only way to be faithful to all of them at once is to use the flat EQ as a reference point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back