Can someone honestly explain to me why its considered a no-no to EQ?
Mar 9, 2009 at 7:34 PM Post #137 of 204
Quote:

Originally Posted by vvanrij /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A distortion is the alteration of the original shape (or other characteristic) of an object, image, sound, waveform or other form of information or representation

You do know that a voltage signal has a frequency and amplitude. When you amplify that signal you are increasing and therefore altering the amplitude but not the frequency.

Mar 9, 2009 at 8:12 PM Post #139 of 204
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomy3555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really think a MOD should now move this thread to the sound science forum. It's gone way beyond " why do most head-Fier's call EQ'ing bad when it's OK to alter your music by other means"

It should be. I read here software eq, negative eq, positive eq. But it all boils down to hardware electronics. Eq is really a low pass/high pass filters.

Mar 9, 2009 at 8:29 PM Post #140 of 204
Quote:

Originally Posted by wuwhere /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You do know that a voltage signal has a frequency and amplitude. When you amplify that signal you are increasing and therefore altering the amplitude but not the frequency.

Yes I'm well aware of that, and thats why a 100% perfect EQ with infinite headroom would never induce distortion
wink.gif
Now if you could point me to one of those, because I know that even that 7500$ SPL EQ can't do that
biggrin.gif

Mar 9, 2009 at 8:42 PM Post #141 of 204
Quote:

Yes I'm well aware of that, and thats why a 100% perfect EQ with infinite headroom would never induce distortion
wink.gif
Now if you could point me to one of those, because I know that even that 7500$ SPL EQ can't do that
biggrin.gif

Headroom? Why would an equalizer need an infinite headroom for?

Mar 9, 2009 at 8:44 PM Post #142 of 204
Quote:

wink.gif
biggrin.gif

Isn't that a bit too much. I remember reading from local hifi magazine that they could notice the distortion before 0,1% THD in midrange and in bass range it took more.

Mar 9, 2009 at 8:46 PM Post #143 of 204
Quote:

Originally Posted by wuwhere /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Headroom? Why would an equalizer need an infinite headroom for?

Well offcourse not just the eq, but the whole signal chain following it too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by esuko /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Isn't that a bit too much. I remember reading from local hifi magazine that they could notice the distortion before 0,1% THD in midrange and in bass range it took more.

0,1? I thought we were long passed the 0,05 now? Thats studio equip I'm talking about here.

Mar 9, 2009 at 8:52 PM Post #144 of 204
Quote:

0,1? I thought we were long passed the 0,05 now? Thats studio equip I'm talking about here.

Just pointing that it would be hard to spot differences bellow 0,1%. I think that even the crapiest studio EQ do better than that.

Mar 9, 2009 at 8:54 PM Post #145 of 204
Thats again beyond my expertise, I can't comment on that
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 10, 2009 at 3:29 AM Post #147 of 204
Quote:

Originally Posted by m0ofassa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Im surprised there isnt a program to batch-reduce loudness by scanning for bass and snare hits (in the simplest sense) and then boosting them after reducing and declipping the whole track. I purchased a program that was supposed to do something similar (rather than me doing it myself) for 200+. All I can say is im glad i can get a large portion of those $ back through tax...

MP3Gain

Set music @ 89~92 dB

EQ if you want, don't if you don't want

Enjoy music, don't fight over it
wink.gif

Mar 10, 2009 at 6:18 AM Post #148 of 204
To my ears, EQ makes the instruments true voicing and sound vanish, and the "there" is lost. Its like it messes with the harmonics and overtones of frequencies or something, I cant put my finger on it. Not only that, details get lost. When you boost or cut anything, your sacrificing something, somewhere, for something else.

Dont get me wrong, EQ has its purpose and can be used to your advantage when dealing with room acoustics. Headphones are different because the earcups are optimized for the drivers. All the EQ work is already done for you, and its up to you to drive them how you want because each source and amp sounds different and unique, like every headphone. Besides, some headphones require amps to properly drive. So what other choice do you have? Everything is colored in some way and you just gotta pick out what you wanna hear. Then if your not satisfied, try something different. The purpose of an EQ is to compensate for something. In the Audiophile world, you dont want to compensate for anything. If you do, you lose detail.

Mar 10, 2009 at 7:31 AM Post #149 of 204
Quote:

To my ears, EQ makes the instruments true voicing and sound vanish, and the "there" is lost. Its like it messes with the harmonics and overtones of frequencies or something, I cant put my finger on it. Not only that, details get lost. When you boost or cut anything, your sacrificing something, somewhere, for something else.

This is not necessarily true. The close coupling of a headphone's transducers to the ear creates a very unnatural frequency response which drastically distorts the sound and hides the true nature of the music. Some manufacturers attempt to compensate for this, but the results are not always optimal. Proper application of EQ can help to achieve a more neutral perceived response and will allow you to hear the music as it was truly meant to be heard.

Mar 10, 2009 at 7:45 AM Post #150 of 204
Quote:

Originally Posted by PiccoloNamek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is not necessarily true. The close coupling of a headphone's transducers to the ear creates a very unnatural frequency response which drastically distorts the sound and hides the true nature of the music. Some manufacturers attempt to compensate for this, but the results are not always optimal. Proper application of EQ can help to achieve a more neutral perceived response and will allow you to hear the music as it was truly meant to be heard.

Bravo!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back