can someone help my fix my D555 discman? (replace output/power caps)
Oct 24, 2004 at 9:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

ProFingerSk8er

Headphoneus Supremus
I just recently bought a D-555 in exellent condition from a head-fier. it suffers from loss of power fon headphone out, after reading the DIY Discman Repair sticky countless times, this seems like a common problem with older discmans (mostly D-555) and sounds like a easy fix.

after reading post #34 and post #36 by head-fier "D555", I have decided to try to fix this problem myself. seems like I'll need to replace caps on headphone-out on both channels because of the low-volume headphone out (original owner said one channel used to be louder then the other) and replace the power caps as well (no idea how many cap there are, backlight blinks when the laser re-tracks the CD after being bumped).

after countless hours of search, I wasn't able to find D-555 service manual anywhere. and couldn't find any posts on exactly where those caps are on the PCB board. I have already PM'ed head-fier "D555" but havnt hear back from him yet, so please help me out of you have a copy of the service manual or if you have experience fixing these problems.

I took a picture of my D-555's internal, and I have no clue where the power caps and headphone-out caps are. I'm guessing they are on the first PCB, please help me locate them (maybe if someone can circle or something)

click on image for full size picture, 628.1Kb

Thanks

Oct 24, 2004 at 10:34 AM Post #2 of 4
ohh shoot..

I think I just found the power and output caps by fliping the first PCB over
redface.gif
:smack head:

didn't realize I was searching through SMD resistors untill I read the caps' size in D555's post... :smacks head again:

so im guessing this is the power cap:
power_cap.jpg

and these are output caps:
output_caps.jpg

right?

*im stupid
tongue.gif

Oct 26, 2004 at 6:46 PM Post #3 of 4
My apologies for not responding. Haven't been on the forums as much lately.

Your pictures are great and you are absolutely correct. Those are the "problem" capacitors (6.3v 100uf). All three in my unit were bad and/or leaking causing power and sound problems.

Thinking off the top of my head, the leaded 150uf capacitor to the right of the 6.3v power supply surface mount capacitor was good, no problem. It's the one with the blue/gray shrink wrap.

After removing the caps, make sure the area is cleaned with a cotton swab moistened with some denatured alcohol.

Paul

Oct 26, 2004 at 7:25 PM Post #4 of 4
thanks for your reply D555, I really appreciate it.

replacement caps should be here tomorrow, I'll keep this post up to date

Users who are viewing this thread

Back