can someone help me choose a dac and amp for my hd 600s?
Oct 21, 2014 at 8:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

eee1111

500+ Head-Fier
i have a little understanding on the issue

i would be using my files from my lenovo y510 laptop (flac, wav, mp3)

im leaning in the direction of asgard2 or vahalla2 with a modi

but how important is the dac?

i see there are very expensive dacs and i dunno if they would make a huge difference

i have the money to make a nice setup for my hd 600s

but i dont want to overbuy

i listen to a lot of different music but classic rock is my fav

Oct 21, 2014 at 9:07 PM Post #2 of 6
  i have a little understanding on the issue
i would be using my files from my lenovo y510 laptop (flac, wav, mp3)
im leaning in the direction of asgard2 or vahalla2 with a modi
but how important is the dac?
i see there are very expensive DACs and i dunno if they would make a huge difference
i have the money to make a nice setup for my hd 600s
but I don't want to overbuy
i listen to a lot of different music but classic rock is my fav

For $15 I can buy a USB DAC (PCM2704) that I know will easily equal and maybe sound better, then the DAC chip used in the Lenovo.
So the Modi for $99 should be worth it.

Oct 21, 2014 at 9:18 PM Post #3 of 6

For $15 I can buy a USB DAC (PCM2704) that I know will easily equal and maybe sound better, then the DAC chip used in the Lenovo.
So the Modi for $99 should be worth it.

that doesnt help me at all

im asking if a more expensive dac over the modi would make a big difference paired with asgard2 or valhalla 2.......

not how crappy the dac is in my laptop
i know....thats the point in getting a head amp and dac so i can get the most out of my hd 600s

Oct 21, 2014 at 10:41 PM Post #4 of 6
  That doesn't help me at all.
I'm asking if a more expensive DAC over the Modi would make a big difference paired with Asgard2 or Valhalla 2.......
not how crappy the DAC is in my laptop
I know....that's the point in getting a head amp and DAC so I can get the most out of my HD600s

I though you were referring to the Modi as an expensive DAC.

I would say to go ahead and get the Modi for now, it should make a noticeable improvement (maybe even a WOW factor) over whatever the Lenovo uses as a DAC.
(so you should be happy enough with the Modi for awhile)
Then maybe next year you could sell off the Modi and get the Bifrost, so you get a second WOW factor next year.

Oct 25, 2014 at 4:36 AM Post #5 of 6
Since you have little experience with anything then it is hard to say what you would perceive as better or worse. Anything you buy as a dedicated dac will sound better than your lappy. If you just buy a $100 DAC you will be happy. If you spend $500+ you'll be happy. The problem is you won't know if it was wasted money or not. To hear the difference you need to experience different DACs. To do that you'll have to either buy or demo. We can't tell you what will sound best to you or what is the best way to spend your money.

I have listened to quite a few DACs and to be fair I've heard some pretty good $100 DACs but my $1375 DAC blows me away. I don't even want to know what I'm missing out on with $2000+ DACs.

Modi is a good DAC. Does it meet your needs as far as input selection and output signal goes? If not then step up to a higher end model with more options.

Honestly anything you buy is going to be a step up. You can't lose.

Nov 1, 2014 at 12:50 PM Post #6 of 6
I have a Modi. In my main system it sounds thin, two-dimensional, lacking real bass. In my office system, which is much less resolving, I hear none of those problems. At least not of the same magnitude. If I were to buy an inexpensive DAC today, I'd definitely choose something else. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back