Can someone guide me in setting up asio4all with fb2k?
Feb 3, 2007 at 12:58 PM Post #2 of 28
I can. I can. I can.
smily_headphones1.gif

It will be without pictures first. If you do not get it then I will post something with pictures instead.

First of all install asio4all. Some people have problems with the 2.7 version. If this does not work try to install the 1.8 version. I suggest you get 2.7 though.

I assume you allready installed it. So I will continu to the config part.

Again assuming you are installing asio4all just to get better quality output you want to use the highest latency possible. (2048 samples I think) If you do not install asio4all just for better output quality, please let me know. You will have to set it up differently.
Press the button for advanced config window. You will see the latency compensation on the top right. Set both in and out to "0".
Depending on the device you are using asio with you want to enable some of the other features. You do not want to enable hardware buffering.

Make sure that the devices that you want to use are enabled and the others are off. (when foobar is playing a lot of devices will tell you they are "beyond logic". So make sure foobar isn't playing when you enable your device.)

So far for asio4all itself. Now for the foobar part. (exit asio4all config window first)

Get the asio support dll from here:
http://www.foobar2000.org/components/index.html

Unpack this file with winRAR or 7z or whatever program. The unpacked file should look like this: foo_out_asio.dll

Copy this file in the components directory of foobar. Mine looks like this:
C:\Program Files\foobar2000\components

If you start foobar for the first time it will tell you that you installed the asio plugin. If not something is wrong. --> Read the above part again.
biggrin.gif

After entering foobar go to File\Preferences\Playback\Output

Select the output device:
ASIO: ASIO4ALL v2

There should be another menu now called ASIO virtual devices. Go there and select ASIO4ALL v2 and press edit.

You should see a lot of channels. (depending on how many you have got)

Suppose you've got an USB-DAC, like me, there most probably will be 2 USB-DAC channels. Configure those as left and right.
Press the left mouse button on a channel you want to activate. The channels you do not want to use should be saying "none".

After you have done all this restart foobar (and maybe your computer).

It should work by now. If it does not please ask again and I (or someone else) will try to help you.

Good luck.

Feb 3, 2007 at 4:20 PM Post #3 of 28
Ok, I got pretty far, and I think I did it.

Heres the output:

asio1.jpg

Heres the Asio Settings:

asio2.jpg

One little problem, this happens when I try to play an ogg vorbis file:

asio3.jpg

So how can I confirm that I'm getting Bit-perfect playback? And in the asio settings, the "Burr-Brown Japan PCM2702" is a Silverstone-eb01 DAC; in case anyone was wondering.

Feb 3, 2007 at 6:43 PM Post #5 of 28
eh?

Feb 3, 2007 at 8:27 PM Post #6 of 28
First of all. The buffer lenght in foobar does not have to be 2050. That can just stay at 500.

I was just talking about the latency you will get from asio. That should be at 2048.

How to check if you have bit-perfect playback?

Kinda easy. Just lower the latency ( of asio4all - not foobar, leave that at 500) to 0. Most likely it will start distorting. If it distorts you have bit-perfect playback. If not you do not have bit-perfect playback. (be sure to set your latency back to 2048 when you are done checking)

Quote:

ASIO4ALL isn't true ASIO it's a driver/emulation

I'll second the "eh?". No offense, but that does not really matter to this thread in my opinion. Anyways, I am just explaining how to set up asio4all. Because as far as bit-perfect playback goes it does not really matter what you use.

The unrecoverable playback error might have to do with an input device being enabled and having no channels. Or it might have to do with the original bit depth the ogg was encoded from. (8-bit/16-bit etc) If it has to do with the latter then enable: Force WDM driver to 16-bit.

That might help.

Feb 3, 2007 at 8:38 PM Post #7 of 28
I'm thinking about learning the guitar. Gotta be easier than understandin' Foobar.

Feb 3, 2007 at 8:50 PM Post #8 of 28
Quote:

I'm thinking about learning the guitar. Gotta be easier than understandin' Foobar.

Well, I dunno. You are right when you are saying foobar is somewhat userunfriendly.

Feb 4, 2007 at 12:19 AM Post #9 of 28
Ok, I couldn't lower the buffer all the way to 0, because the lowest asio4all would go is 64. When set at 64, the seekbar in foobar wouldn't move, and I couldn't hear anything. The lowest I could set the buffer, and still hear something, was 128. I didn't really hear any distorion, but I don't know what I'm listening for. Thanks.

Feb 4, 2007 at 1:20 AM Post #10 of 28
Sorry. I should've mentioned that it was 64 instead of 0 which is not possible. If your seekbar doesn't move then then you are using asio for sure. This quite common for devices which do not support 64 latency. (which is almost every usb device)

You will be able to hear the distortion clearly through a crappy speakerset. However this is not really what you want I think. (hearing distortion I mean)

Feb 4, 2007 at 1:38 AM Post #11 of 28
Here is a question I bet others wonder about as well. Why do we want to use ASIO4ALL? what does it do? Is it only for Foobar? I have installed it. The offline program runs and finds everything. Now what? I use media player and the Yahoo Music Jukebox. Do these use it? Really puzzeled
blink.gif

Feb 4, 2007 at 2:11 PM Post #12 of 28
The reason someone wants asio4all (or kernel streaming for that matter) is that the quality of your sound increases. If you do not use kernel streaming windows will change the signal send to the audio device. This is audible if you listen really carefull and you have the proper equipment.

There are other players that support asio4all or other kernel streaming programs. I am not sure whether the programs you mentioned can. I know for a fact that winamp can.

Feb 4, 2007 at 3:59 PM Post #13 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by EnOYiN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The reason someone wants asio4all (or kernel streaming for that matter) is that the quality of your sound increases. If you do not use kernel streaming windows will change the signal send to the audio device. This is audible if you listen really carefull and you have the proper equipment.

There are other players that support asio4all or other kernel streaming programs. I am not sure whether the programs you mentioned can. I know for a fact that winamp can.

Thanks for the response.

Is ASIO different from kernal streaming? Can they both be used at the same time? I notice that the FOOBAR site has both an ASIO add in and a kernal streaming module.

Feb 4, 2007 at 4:51 PM Post #14 of 28
They both have an identical function. And I guess "kernel streaming" should only be used for cards, that do not support ASIO. In all other cases, ASIO output is highly recommended...

"ASIO (Audio Stream Input Output) is a protocol for low-latency digital audio specified by Steinberg.

ASIO provides an interface between an application and the sound card. Whereas Microsoft's DirectSound is typically for stereo input and output for consumers, ASIO provides for the needs of musicians and sound engineers. ASIO offers a relatively simple way of accessing multiple audio inputs and outputs independently. It also provides for the synchronization of input with output in a way that is not possible with DirectSound, allowing recording studios to process their audio via software on the computer instead of using thousands of dollars worth of separate equipment. Its main strength lies in its method of bypassing the inherently high latency of operating system audio mixing kernels, allowing direct, high speed communication with audio hardware."

(c) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_stream_input_output

Feb 4, 2007 at 9:06 PM Post #15 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by madwolfa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They both have an identical function. And I guess "kernel streaming" should only be used for cards, that do not support ASIO. In all other cases, ASIO output is highly recommended...

"ASIO (Audio Stream Input Output) is a protocol for low-latency digital audio specified by Steinberg.

ASIO provides an interface between an application and the sound card. Whereas Microsoft's DirectSound is typically for stereo input and output for consumers, ASIO provides for the needs of musicians and sound engineers. ASIO offers a relatively simple way of accessing multiple audio inputs and outputs independently. It also provides for the synchronization of input with output in a way that is not possible with DirectSound, allowing recording studios to process their audio via software on the computer instead of using thousands of dollars worth of separate equipment. Its main strength lies in its method of bypassing the inherently high latency of operating system audio mixing kernels, allowing direct, high speed communication with audio hardware."

(c) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_stream_input_output

Yeah, I was going to say that, lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back