Can Someone Explain Why Foobar is Recommended or Better than Other Media Players?
Jun 6, 2005 at 4:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

cris.rodrigo

New Head-Fier
I've been messing with foobar for an hour now and reading other forums, but I can't figure why people choose this format over others. I've come to learn that it supports more encoding formats than winamp, but nothing else. Any help would be appreciated.

Jun 6, 2005 at 5:09 AM Post #2 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by cris.rodrigo
I've been messing with foobar for an hour now and reading other forums, but I can't figure why people choose this format over others. I've come to learn that it supports more encoding formats than winamp, but nothing else. Any help would be appreciated.

Winamp has been causing me tons of problems with video lately, so I switched to foobar.

Jun 6, 2005 at 5:09 AM Post #3 of 42
"out of the box" it supports more formats and can be set up to sound better...

those are 2 of the best reasons i can think of... other than the fact that winamp is quite dead

it's also tweakable

mine

Jun 6, 2005 at 6:36 AM Post #4 of 42
Necro, that is a very decent looking and legible setup. Can you tell everyone which plug-ins and settings you've used to achieve that? Would save quite a bit of tinkering for many
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 6, 2005 at 7:58 AM Post #5 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by halcyon
Necro, that is a very decent looking and legible setup. Can you tell everyone which plug-ins and settings you've used to achieve that? Would save quite a bit of tinkering for many
smily_headphones1.gif

Seconded. People always say if you play around with foobar you can figure it out. However please by all means give some tips as not all of us have a natural ability to pick up this computer tweaking.

Jun 6, 2005 at 3:14 PM Post #7 of 42
I like foobar because it's setup to be really tweakable while also easy to configure. IME, something like winamp requires much more effort and know-how to change things like resampling, bit depth, dithering, crossfeed, I/O style, etc. If you don't require this level of control, I think winamp is perfectly fine. As far as looks, Foobar can be made to look really cool but you have to spend hours getting it to look "just right." Winamp looks better right out of the box, but there's something to be said about Foobar's supreme level of customization if you're willing to put in the effort.

Jun 6, 2005 at 4:23 PM Post #8 of 42
Jun 6, 2005 at 6:55 PM Post #10 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by necropimp
ok here are the plugins i use

columns ui
foo_uie_tabs
foo_uie_albumlist
foo_uie_trackinfo
foo_uie_albumart program to get album art found here
foo_uie_volume

fcs file for exporting into columns ui

trackinfo code here

and the buttons
Glass_Square_BlackGreen.png

Wow, I must be an eedjit
tongue.gif
I've installed all the plug-ins, and still can't get the damn active user interface module to show up. The Columns UI is listed under Components, but it doesn't show up in my player interface.

BTW, the fcs link isn't working...

Jun 7, 2005 at 2:09 AM Post #11 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ozric
Wow, I must be an eedjit
tongue.gif
I've installed all the plug-ins, and still can't get the damn active user interface module to show up. The Columns UI is listed under Components, but it doesn't show up in my player interface.

BTW, the fcs link isn't working...

You are not alone
rolleyes.gif

Where can I get a foobar for eedjit s

Necropimp,

Can you please provide a small explanation on how to customize?

Jun 7, 2005 at 2:45 AM Post #12 of 42
For you guys looking to get into Foobar some great resources to learn about the program and customizing the interface are the wikis found Here and Here.

Jun 7, 2005 at 5:11 AM Post #14 of 42
My Foobar (click for larger):

Already set up, just unrar, maybe nuke the databse (not sure if mine is still in the rar) and change the path to your own music folder, and set up the DSP/output plugins to your own preference (the ASIO dll is included, and I think I set it to Directsound 2.0 before packaging it up):
http://www.topoftheslide.net/dl/foobar2000.rar

Once you scan all your music into the DB, you'll want to right click in the album list and select "refresh tree" to make everything show up.

And remember, this is just my personal tweaked version, your milage may vary, I'm not responsible if anything crashes or your computer explodes. It's stable and works extremely well for me. I assume by downloading this you have some basic knowledge of how to configure foobar in the first place, and as such I do not offer technical support of any kind. But hey, if you like it, feel free to play with it or use it as a base to tweak further.

Jun 7, 2005 at 7:47 AM Post #15 of 42
Helter thanks for your winrar! Saved a lot of time searching and learning how to use those Foobar plugins!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back