Can someone explain to me the basics of making a portable rig?
Sep 13, 2011 at 10:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

hipolymer

New Head-Fier
I already have the IEM (RE0's) and player (Nano 4th gen), but I still need help on what else is required of a "rig". I know an amp is one of the components, but I've heard that RE0 doesn't really need to be amped. Also I need help on what an LOD cable actually does and if I need one if I decide to get an amp.

tl;dr: I'm a portable rig noob

edit: also, sorry if this question can be answered somewhere else on the site, but I've looked around and have seen no stickies or tutorials of the sort. If I'm mistaken please correct me.

Sep 13, 2011 at 10:18 PM Post #2 of 7
You already have a nice portable rig.  If your iems don't require an amp, then you are all set.  Run, run away before you start purchasing amps, LOD cables etc....

Enjoy it hipolymer....
beerchug.gif

I was just downstairs running around with this....great sound!!!!

Sep 13, 2011 at 11:11 PM Post #4 of 7

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. I guess I just need reassurance on whether the amps make THAT much of a difference as I've never had the opportunity to try one out.

They do---  On phones that require it.  Some phones are easy to drive, some are not and need a hand.  If the extension on your iems don't sound flat (bass etc.) then you are good, from what you posted...

Sep 13, 2011 at 11:20 PM Post #5 of 7
only amp if your headphones or IEM's need to be amped. if they don't need it, then don't bother with the extra hassle. 

back in November i spent just over a grand on a single pair of headphones and an amp/DAC, only to realize now that i'm just as happy with my iPhone and a pair of good sounding and easy to drive headphones, and nothing else. 

Sep 13, 2011 at 11:42 PM Post #6 of 7
only amp if your headphones or IEM's need to be amped. if they don't need it, then don't bother with the extra hassle. 

back in November i spent just over a grand on a single pair of headphones and an amp/DAC, only to realize now that i'm just as happy with my iPhone and a pair of good sounding and easy to drive headphones, and nothing else. 

It also depends on the quality of your PMP's internal amp and your standards of what you consider acceptable sound quality. I, for one, have never heard a single pair of earphones that sounded good out of my iPhone, whether they "needed" an amp or not. Using a separate amp yielded a significant improvement in sound quality in every case.

My recoomendation: buy a Fiio E6, which is a portable amp that only costs $20, and a Fiio L3, which is an LOD cable. If you think the sound quality improved enough to be worth carrying around, then great. If not then you can always return or resell it, and you'll only be out a few dollars. Either way, there's nothing like hearing it for yourself and making your own decision.

Sep 13, 2011 at 11:53 PM Post #7 of 7

Quote:
It also depends on the quality of your PMP's internal amp and your standards of what you consider acceptable sound quality. I, for one, have never heard a single pair of earphones that sounded good out of my iPhone, whether they "needed" an amp or not. Using a separate amp yielded a significant improvement in sound quality in every case.

My recoomendation: buy a Fiio E6, which is a portable amp that only costs $20, and a Fiio L3, which is an LOD cable. If you think the sound quality improved enough to be worth carrying around, then great. If not then you can always return or resell it, and you'll only be out a few dollars. Either way, there's nothing like hearing it for yourself and making your own decision.

This is fine indeed...But the need for a portable rig turns into trans-portable etc...

Trust me, I am an amp believer and have purchased too many in my five years here....I guess about $60-70 will make him see if he wants to find out if his phones need it...

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back