Can Someone Explain Popcorn Servings
Feb 23, 2007 at 3:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

zowie

Headphoneus Supremus
I can't figure out how microwave popcorn nutritional information works. Like take the one in front of me now, which is the way they're all written

Serving size: 3tbsp unpopped (makes about 3.5 cups popped)
Servings per box:9 [3 bags in a box]

Amount per serving.....................3tbsp unpopped ... 1 cup popped
Calories........................................15 0 ...................... 40
Sodium 280 mg.............................. 12% .................. 3%

What is a popped serving? How many calories per serving? How many popped servings in a bag?

Feb 23, 2007 at 3:53 AM Post #2 of 7
it seems that each bag represents three servings ( 9 servings for 3 bags) So one cup popped is one serving, and 3tsb unpopped ( 3.5 cups popped ) is one bag.

So 150 calories in the bag

Feb 23, 2007 at 4:02 AM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by kyleisgreat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it seems that each bag represents three servings ( 9 servings for 3 bags) So one cup popped is one serving, and 3tsb unpopped ( 3.5 cups popped ) is one bag.

So 150 calories in the bag

Could be, but it also says a 1 serving = 3 Tbsp = 3.5 cups popped.
That'd be contradictory with 1 serving = 1 cup popped
Maybe there are 450 calories in a bag?

Feb 23, 2007 at 4:36 AM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by zowie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Could be, but it also says a 1 serving = 3 Tbsp = 3.5 cups popped.
That'd be contradictory with 1 serving = 1 cup popped
Maybe there are 450 calories in a bag?

That's the way I see it too. Each bag has 3 servings and one serving equals 3tbsp unpopped (150 cal). So 150 x 3 is 450 cal.

Three servings also equals about 10.5 cups popped with each cup equaling 40 cal, so it could also be about 420 cal.

Feb 23, 2007 at 3:34 PM Post #6 of 7
It is ridiculous. Especially because you don't open the bags or remove the unpopped corn before using, so the unpopped corn never meets a tablespoon. If you follow the instructions you never even see it.

Making it more ridiculous is that the contents of the box are labeled in ounces, which is completely disconnected from everything else.

I didn't post this as a brain teaser. I'm genuinely POd that the mfgs seem to be hiding the ball and trying to confuse consumers -- and obviously have succeeded. I don't know any other product like this.

Feb 23, 2007 at 3:52 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by dcheming /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's the way I see it too. Each bag has 3 servings and one serving equals 3tbsp unpopped (150 cal). So 150 x 3 is 450 cal.

Three servings also equals about 10.5 cups popped with each cup equaling 40 cal, so it could also be about 420 cal.

ah that would make sense, I've been wondering about that but didn't posses the logic to understand it on my own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back