Can someone clearly explain audiophile speak, with perhaps examples?
Jun 4, 2010 at 12:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

mckinetic

Head-Fier
Looking for a more accurate understanding of terms such as forward, seperation, etc, perhaps with specific examples of
what makes a good headphone vs a really high end one. Any takers? Looking for someone who can help, thank you.

Mck

Jun 4, 2010 at 12:26 AM Post #2 of 10
There is an excellent guide here (wiki section):

http://www.head-fi.org/wiki/describing-sound-a-glossary

Jun 4, 2010 at 6:28 AM Post #3 of 10
I never regard reviews full of subjective audiophile terms usefull. Everyone has a different perception and different standards. For example when someone has listened for a long time to faulty overbright headphones or speakers and now everyting that's flat, sounds recessed. When something sounds exciting and vibrant, you can find it earbleading and fatiguing.

You should only trust objective measurements and your own ears.

Jun 4, 2010 at 9:19 AM Post #4 of 10

Quote:
Looking for a more accurate understanding of terms such as forward, seperation, etc, perhaps with specific examples of
what makes a good headphone vs a really high end one. Any takers? Looking for someone who can help, thank you.

Mck

Audio is extremely hard to describe and what is worse is everybody has different reference points and gear.  If you find a review with such descriptions, just take them as they are a person trying to relate what they hear.  This in no way sugegst you will hear the same or use the same words to describe what you do hear.

Jun 4, 2010 at 9:42 AM Post #5 of 10
While audio is up to perception, surely there is a line down the middle which can be understood? Starting of course with someone speaking from great experience. I'm looking for someone who has individual clear examples of this song or that which to a greater or lesser degree can be discerned by most(or many) who listen for them. For example, on this recording, using these headphones this the true indicator of tendency towards sibilance, while this particular phone clearly does a better job.

Jun 5, 2010 at 11:37 PM Post #8 of 10
class A does not have a sound, class A is nothing but a topology and you can just as easily have a displeasing class A sound as a mind blowing one

Jun 6, 2010 at 12:41 AM Post #9 of 10
Let's start with one instance of glaring issue, sibilance. Is it possible to say, on this recording with these headphones, on this particular song sibilance exists. Anyone have a known example? Or even a particular song list they use to break down a headphones tendencies?
I have the HD650's so I don't get any recognizable sibilance, although listening to the new Bowers & Wilkins set earlier, I felt they were very forward, colored, and slightly sibilant. Anyone else have experience with these?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back