Can somebody ID this part?
Oct 28, 2013 at 9:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Tech2

1000+ Head-Fier
A friend of mine has an old piece of non-audio vacuum tube equipment and has asked me to identify a component from a photo. It looks to be a sort of variable resistor but I am not certain. He also asked me if it looks burned. I know this isn't audio related but I was hoping somebody could help me ID the part.

If the mods feel this is inappropriate for the forum, I'll understand a lock or delete.

gujumume.jpg

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Oct 28, 2013 at 10:16 AM Post #2 of 3
It does indeed look like a 250ohm coarse adjustment (single turn) pot. 

Its hard to say if its burned or just dirty from the picture. Hooking it up to a resistance meter should tell you immediately if it is damaged. 

Can he find a schematic for whatever this is? Can he make a reasonable guess (or measure&calculate) how much power this part will dissipate? It should not cost too much to replace it, however much power that is. 

Oct 28, 2013 at 10:40 AM Post #3 of 3
No, unfortunately no schematic, that was the first question I posed when he showed me the picture. A schematic would tell us a lot, I'm sure.

If I get my hands on the equipment, it will be a bit easier to determine what it is by putting my ohm meter on the resistor.

Thanks for the response.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back