can somebody explain in layman's terms what a tube in a tube amp does and how it works?
Jan 23, 2018 at 5:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Jerrod

Head-Fier
i googled it, but i have no idea what i'm reading!

so basically the power tubes transfer power from the power brick and put them in the driver tubes which physically alter the sound?

Jan 23, 2018 at 6:08 PM Post #2 of 6
Tubes are used as a way to amplify an electrical signal similar to transistors. Basically you have a source of current and an output that are blocked by a gate so at rest no current passes. When a signal is introduced to the gate, it allows current to pass from the source to the output in direct proportion to the signal being sent through the gate. What this means is a very small current (signal) can be sent through the gate side of the circuit to produce the same pattern using a much larger amount of current at the output.

This is of course an over-simplification, but it is in layman's terms as requested before someone else chimes in and busts my chops on it.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2018 at 11:27 PM Post #3 of 6
i googled it, but i have no idea what i'm reading!

so basically the power tubes transfer power from the power brick and put them in the driver tubes which physically alter the sound?
Most power tubes are the output tubes the last one in the chain. You have input tubes that take the input and amplify it to an extent and then it goes to the output tube for the output. There are rectifier tubes and that has to do with the power supply to the amplifier so there is another step for the tubes. Yes totally simplified . I’m not totally up on knowing my tube topalogys. Physically alters the sound you make that sound like a bad thing as everything in the chain alters the sound in it’s own way as I’ve never heard of a perfect amp or perfect anything.

Jan 24, 2018 at 1:21 AM Post #4 of 6
Most power tubes are the output tubes the last one in the chain. You have input tubes that take the input and amplify it to an extent and then it goes to the output tube for the output. There are rectifier tubes and that has to do with the power supply to the amplifier so there is another step for the tubes. Yes totally simplified . I’m not totally up on knowing my tube topalogys. Physically alters the sound you make that sound like a bad thing as everything in the chain alters the sound in it’s own way as I’ve never heard of a perfect amp or perfect anything.
Rectifiers have nothing to do with signal amplification. They are meant to convert alternating currents into direct currents. Nowadays, most circuits use solid state rectifiers, with some exceptions. It's nice to have warm glowy stuff in your circuit, so sometimes, tube rectifiers are used. (except tubes tend to be noisier than solid state components)

Tubes generally form the "amplification" bit within an amplifier design. The tube is just a part of the circuit that controls the way electrons flow within, and is not the amplifier in itself. Like a diode, the tube is a single direction output module, so you can use it to point the current to flow in a certain path. Note that it's the whole amp design that magnifies the signal, not just the tube. Nowadays, amplification circuits tend to use Transistors for the job, and they're easier to make, and cheaper to replace. But the way a tube is used is merely part of the circuit design.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2018 at 7:55 AM Post #5 of 6
Rectifiers have nothing to do with signal amplification. They are meant to convert alternating currents into direct currents. Nowadays, most circuits use solid state rectifiers, with some exceptions. It's nice to have warm glowy stuff in your circuit, so sometimes, tube rectifiers are used. (except tubes tend to be noisier than solid state components)

Tubes generally form the "amplification" bit within an amplifier design. The tube is just a part of the circuit that controls the way electrons flow within, and is not the amplifier in itself. Like a diode, the tube is a single direction output module, so you can use it to point the current to flow in a certain path. Note that it's the whole amp design that magnifies the signal, not just the tube. Nowadays, amplification circuits tend to use Transistors for the job, and they're easier to make, and cheaper to replace. But the way a tube is used is merely part of the circuit design.
I believe I said the rectifier tubes has to do with the power supply that powers the tubes.

Jan 24, 2018 at 9:05 PM Post #6 of 6
I believe I said the rectifier tubes has to do with the power supply that powers the tubes.
Yes I know. I was just clarifying the points for the OP. Sorry if my post was confusing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back